Audio By Carbonatix
Convenors of the #FixTheCountry protest have expressed their disappointment in the Supreme Court for fixing the hearing of their application on June 8, 2021.
Their application filed at the Apex court follows the order obtained by the Ghana Police that prohibits the protestors from exercising their right to embark on a protest scheduled for Sunday, May 9.
The prohibiting order granted by Justice Ruby Aryeetey, prevents the group from proceeding with the march on the said day or any other date until the restriction on public gathering is lifted.
In a press statement issued by the Convenors, they indicated that they had expected the Court to have taken “extraordinary measures” to expedite the hearing, considering the urgency of their agenda and “the grave injustice caused”, so as to enable protestors to proceed with the demonstration as planned.
"We have just received news that the Supreme Court has fixed the hearing for 8th June 2021. We are naturally disappointed by this decision, but we continue to place our faith in the Courts."
"It was our hope that in view of the urgency of the matter, and having regard to the grave injustice caused, that extraordinary measures will be taken to expedite the hearing of the matter, so as to enable us proceed with the protest on Sunday May 9."

This comes after organisers of the #FixTheCountry demonstration were served with notice that a court order had been issued and secured by the police to stop them from going ahead with their intended protest in the capital.
On the May 6, the order was granted to the Police despite an existing decision by a Judge of the Court of Appeal saying that the Police cannot seek nor obtain an order to prohibit a protest without notifying the organizers.
Meanwhile, the Convenors say at the earliest opportunity, they shall again "file an application for abridgement of time, with the hope that the Court will hear the matter at an earlier date."
Latest Stories
-
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
8 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
16 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
26 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
33 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
59 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
1 hour -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours