Audio By Carbonatix
The Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has said government remains committed to ensuring the safety of journalists.
He said government is working with the Association to ensure the safety of journalists as well as a capacity enhancement programme for media personnel.
Speaking at the 24th Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) Awards he said, “The need to have a coordinated mechanism for the safety of journalists has gained prime importance in the world over as attacks on journalists have been on the rise globally.
“Additionally, the need to have media function exceptionally in our democracy has birthed the capacity enhancement program.”
A lot of journalists have been attacked, maimed or killed as they go about their job.
Ghana made the headline globally last year when news broke about the murder of Ahmed Hussein Suale, a key member of Anas Aremeyaw Anas’ the Tiger PI investigative team.
The journalist who was central to the Number 12 documentary which revealed fraudulent dealings in the country’s football administration was shot dead by unknown assailants on January 16 on his way home.
His death was condemned worldwide by bodies including the United Nations.
The Akufo-Addo government promised to put measures in place to protect journalists.
“I am informed that your leadership has been working closely with the government through the Ministry of Information in designing these interventions. It is my expectation that these interventions will serve us all very well,” the Vice President said.
He said the Right to Information (RTI) Law will, among other things, facilitate the work of journalists at a time when the work of journalists has often been hindered by increasing cases of attacks.
President of the GJA, Roland Affail Monney, also said the fight against the attacks on journalists must be intensified.
“We are part of a stakeholder group to craft a framework and mechanism to address the issue of incessant attacks on journalists. On the thread that runs through the attack is impunity.
“If impunity is not addressed, it grants more impunity. It re-energies a self-propelling cycle and makes it difficult for it to be uprooted. We appeal to all stakeholders to help us fight ferociously the cancer of impunity before it spreads beyond control,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
54 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
1 hour -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours