The Minister for Works and Housing has disclosed that the government has decided to sell the controversial Saglemi Housing Project.
Mr Francis Asenso-Boakye says the project will be sold to a private sector entity.
According to him, the decision was taken after assessment and the necessary consultations.
Speaking at a press conference on Sunday, Mr Asenso-Boakye said the project currently covers 1,506 housing units.
“After a painstaking period of assessment, verification and consultations, Government has decided to – Explore the possibility of selling the Saglemi Housing Project, covering the 1,506 housing units, at the current value to a private sector entity to complete and sell the housing units to the public, at no further cost to the State,” he said.
He, however, revealed that the proceeds will be reinvested into the sector.
“The proceeds from this sale will come to the State and be reinvested into other affordable housing projects,” he added.
Meanwhile, a Technical Working Team has been commissioned to over the processes, the Minister added.
“In furtherance of the above, and to facilitate the processes, a Technical Working Team has been set-up, comprising professionals and experts to oversee and spearhead all engagements required for the completion of the project.
This is being done with the goal of ensuring transparency and accountability, while guaranteeing value for money in the completion of the project.”
About the project
The project, which was commenced under the Mahama administration was stalled due to a decision by the Akufo-Addo administration to probe the financial arrangements surrounding it.
The former Minister for Works and Housing, Samuel Atta-Akyea, invited the Attorney General to scrutinize the agreements in October 2018.
There were reports that key contract documents were missing or had inconsistencies.
The government feels there appears to have been a misappropriation of funds in the project, resulting in shoddy work.
Currently, two of former President Mahama appointees, together with a former Chief Director of the Water Resources, Works and Housing Ministry, Alhaji Ziblim Yakubu, Executive Chairman of Construtora OAS Ghana Limited, Andrew Clocanas, and Majority Shareholder of Ridge Management Solutions DWC-LLC, Nouvi Tetteh Angelo have been charged for causing financial loss to the state.
The five accused persons are collectively facing 52 counts of criminal offences, including willfully causing financial loss to the State, and intentionally misapplying public property.
- Fuel prices to increase by 7%-13% from February 1, 2023 – IES
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- Assault on Latif Iddrisu: No policeman touched him – Attorney General
- DWP USA was created to bring all cultures together
- School placement for BECE graduates to be released in February – Ministry of Education
- Gold for Oil deal lacks transparency; it must go before Parliament – Mahama
- School placement system must be overhauled – Dr Peter Anti
- Deborah Acquah qualifies for 2023 World Athletics Championships
- Pay Toure over GHC 100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- Gold for Oil deal: First consignment not enough for market – Research Analyst
- Police nab 4 over alleged robbery at Wassa Agona
- Stop National Cathedral project, cut-down government expenditure and leave our money alone -Nurses to government
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- NTDs in Ghana; Let’s act now, let’s act together, let’s invest in the fight!
- School placement for sale exposé: Culprits will be dealt with – Education Minister
- Dancers are footsoldiers of Afrobeats, their impact is huge – DWP Dance Academy US manager
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- Ahuofe Patri loses mother