An ambulance driver conveying a pregnant woman in labour has been shot in the eye by highway robbers in the wee hours of Thursday.
The driver is said to have been transferring the woman from the Akuse Government Hospital to the Koforidua Regional Hospital.
Deputy Eastern Regional Administrative Manager for the National Ambulance Service, Felix Owusu revealed that at about 1:30 am the team run into 8 armed robbers at Abebease.
According to him, the robbers, upon seeing the ambulance with the siren beacon lights, thought it was the police who were coming, this triggered the shootout, injuring the driver.
He added that, the robbers also extorted monies from the occupants of the ambulance.
A Police Patrol team rushed to the scene after the incident and conveyed the injured driver and the woman in labour to the Tetteh Quashie Memorial Hospital and later referred her to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- Independent Power Producers threaten to cut power supply by June 30
- I either stay objective on Sarkodie issues or go silent – Kobby Kyei
- NPP flagbearership race: Supporters pick form for Dr Afriyie Akoto
- Yamoah Cadman wraps up 2023 NCAA-II outdoor season as All-American, other Ghanaians impress
- UBA Ghana shares its rich culture on Africa Day
- Ghana records 1,462 Covid-19 related deaths in three years
- Ken Addy worried live musical instruments will fade out
- Barca legends Alba, Busquets bid emotional farewell to Camp Nou
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Edem Agbana commends Adentan and Ring-Road Central Rotaract clubs for their donation to Tadzewu M/A Basic School
- Ashanti Region Super Zonals: OKESS and St. Louis triumph as T.I Ahmadiyya lose top spots
- Fitch Solutions maintains 2.9% growth rate forecast for Ghana 2023
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Review of flagship programmes: Let’s not touch Free SHS – Kwame Pianim
- Joseph Paintsil scores brace as Genk cruise past Club Brugge
- Turkish election victory for Erdogan leaves nation divided