President Nana Akufo-Addo has asked the global community to help West Africa deal with the growing threat of terrorism.
He stated that the menace deserves the attention of the world.
According to him, West Africa is compelled to spend its limited resources on the menace.
The President explained that these monies could have otherwise been used to educate Africa’s young population.
“All of us in the region are being forced to spend huge amounts of money on security. This is money we should be spending on educating and giving skills to our young people,” he said.
“This is a global problem deserving the attention of the world community for a global solution.”
President Akufo-Addo also said the canker has served as the catalyst for some coups in the region.
“The terrorist pressure has provided a pretext for the unhappy reappearance of military rule in three of the 15 member ECOWAS Community,” he added.
The General Debate of the 77th session of the UN General Assembly started on Tuesday, September 20 on the theme, ‘A watershed moment: Transformative solutions to interlocking challenges.’
Over 150 heads-of-state and government representatives are expected to deliver speeches at the assembly.
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- PBC Ltd CEO, Richard Akuoko Adiyiah dead
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- The activities of Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm are illegal – John Jinapor
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- There is evidence to show some NPP top officials are into illegal mining – John Jinapor
- King Charles and late Queen will both feature on new 50p coins
- Livestream: 7th EMY Africa Awards on Joy Prime
- Patrons at Luv Fm Habitat Fair impressed with quality of event
- Count On Crops Hub equips 32 Agric Extension Officers with data collection skills
- Government fails to announce new farmgate price for cocoa despite start of season
- 2023 CHAN: Black Galaxies face Morocco, Madagascar and Sudan in Group C
- Fight against galamsey must be above partisan politics – Samuel Jinapor
- Customers can purchase electricity credits from Oct. 2 – ECG
- Arsenal beat Tottenham to go four points clear
- Aubameyang scores as Potter gets first Chelsea win
- Faisal Chibsah: From starting coaching career as volunteer to heading FIFA High-Performance specialist role for Africa
- Genser deal: We’re developing a Trojan horse to cannibalise all state enterprises in the energy sector – Ben Boakye
- Policymakers must ensure Ghana does not return to current economic situation – Dr. Twumasi-Baffuor
- Let the public know your innovations – Dr. Addo Kufuor charges tertiary institutions
- Over 1000 shops flooded at Kumasi Central Market; traders blame Contracta for the mess
- Orange Corners Ghana celebrates graduation of 45 entrepreneurs