Rio Ave forward, Abdul-Aziz Yakubu, says he dreams of playing at the FIFA 2022 World Cup with the Black Stars after an impressive start to the 2022/23 season.
The Ghanaian was instrumental in powering his side to the top flight last season as they won the Liga Portuga 2. He scored 11 times in 33 appearances in the run.
In the Primeira Liga, Aziz has already netted five times in seven appearances. However, he missed out on Otto Addo’s squad for the September friendlies against Brazil and Nicaragua.
But the 23-year-old says he is keeping hopes alive to play in Qatar with the Black Stars.
“I think so [on whether he has a chance], the numbers speak for me,” Aziz told Zerozero in an interview.
“Ghanaian websites and journalists talk about me, so I believe, let’s see. I hope to have the opportunity to represent my country one day and if it’s at the World Cup, perfect.”
The forward added that he is hoping his presence in the Portuguese top flight will bring his performances closer to Ghanaians and the technical team.
“Last season I already had good numbers [in terms of goals], but in Ghana, they always said ‘ah, but he plays in the second league’. Now I play in the I Liga, so I hope they don’t keep downplaying my goals.”
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- PBC Ltd CEO, Richard Akuoko Adiyiah dead
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- The activities of Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm are illegal – John Jinapor
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- There is evidence to show some NPP top officials are into illegal mining – John Jinapor
- King Charles and late Queen will both feature on new 50p coins
- Livestream: 7th EMY Africa Awards on Joy Prime
- Patrons at Luv Fm Habitat Fair impressed with quality of event
- Count On Crops Hub equips 32 Agric Extension Officers with data collection skills
- Government fails to announce new farmgate price for cocoa despite start of season
- 2023 CHAN: Black Galaxies face Morocco, Madagascar and Sudan in Group C
- Fight against galamsey must be above partisan politics – Samuel Jinapor
- Customers can purchase electricity credits from Oct. 2 – ECG
- Arsenal beat Tottenham to go four points clear
- Aubameyang scores as Potter gets first Chelsea win
- Faisal Chibsah: From starting coaching career as volunteer to heading FIFA High-Performance specialist role for Africa
- Genser deal: We’re developing a Trojan horse to cannibalise all state enterprises in the energy sector – Ben Boakye
- Policymakers must ensure Ghana does not return to current economic situation – Dr. Twumasi-Baffuor
- Let the public know your innovations – Dr. Addo Kufuor charges tertiary institutions
- Over 1000 shops flooded at Kumasi Central Market; traders blame Contracta for the mess
- Orange Corners Ghana celebrates graduation of 45 entrepreneurs