Inflation shot up to 33.9% in August 2022, the highest in 21 years, data from the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) has revealed.
This is expected to increase the cost of borrowing by raising interest rates further.
Relative to July 2022, year-on-year inflation increased by 2.2 percentage points in August 2022 and month-on-month inflation reduced by 2.2 percentage points over the same period.
On a monthly basis, the rate of inflation between July 2022 and August 2022 also went up by 1.9%.
Once again, the drivers of the rate of inflation were Housing, water electricity, gas and other fuels (46.7%); Transport (45.7%); Furnishings, household equipment and routine household maintenance (44.7); Recreation, sport and culture (36.4%); Personal care, social protection and miscellaneous goods and services (36.0%) and Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages (34.0%).
There was however wide disparity observed across the 13 divisions.
Food inflation in the month of August 2022 was 34.4%, compared with 32.3% the previous month.
Eight subclasses however recorded higher rates. This was distantly led by Oils and Fats (74.0%) followed by Fruits and Nuts (49.4%) and Fish and Other Seafood (46.4%).
In the case of month-on-month food inflation eight subclasses record rates higher than the national average (1.8%).
For non-food Inflation, it stood at 33.6% in August 2022, higher than the 31.3 % recorded in July 2022.
Inflation for locally produced items was 33.4%, whilst inflation for imported items was 35.2%.
For the fifth month in a row (since April 2022) imported items record higher inflation rates than locally produced items.
Eastern region recorded highest inflation rate
Meanwhile, the Eastern region recorded the highest inflation rate of 41%, followed closely by Western Region (40.2%) and Greater Accra Region (39.3%).
The Upper East region however recorded the lowest rate of 22.8%.
But Western Region recorded highest food inflation (47.0%) and Eastern Region, the highest non-food inflation (42.0%).
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too
- Tigst Assefa smashes world marathon record in Berlin, Eliud Kipchoge achieves record fifth win
- Ebenezer Owusu writes: Things are not the same anymore
- It’s difficult doing business in Ghana, 21.9% tax on hospitality businesses harsh – D-Black
- Prof. Stephen Adei partners Chirano Gold Mines to roll out Innovative Literacy Program for local communities
- Democracy comes with rights and responsibilities – Enam Akoetey chides #OccupyJulorbiHouse organisers