Four years ago, one of Ghana’s worst school disasters struck in the Central Region when a falling classroom wall met 6 kindergarten children, killing them instantly and injuring many others.
Children in the Roman Catholic school, just meters away, say they have been living in fear as they say their own classrooms are in the worst condition than the one that killed the 6.
This week, JoyNews is launching The Classroom Project to highlight the need for self-help in addressing school infrastructure challenges across the country.
JoyNews’ Justice Baidoo reported on the incident in 2017 and has been back in the community to see what has changed.
There is more in the following report.
The project is an initiative of The Multimedia Group (Joy and Adom clusters) to mobilise public support and local resources to help two communities put up weak school structures.
It’s about exploring the role of philanthropy or voluntarily giving in promoting development in our local communities without depending on government or external donors.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Fire burns shops at Madina-Ritz junction again
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- Judiciary must not be seen as bias in setting timelines for cases – Pumpuni Asante
- Seun Kuti opens up on experience in ‘three-person cell’ with 30 inmates
- We use ‘second-hand’ diapers, toilet rolls during menses – Girls admit as Mace supplies free sanitary pads
- Air New Zealand weighing passengers before flying
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- Supreme Court verdict sets the rule clear going forward – Daniel Domelevo
- I have no regret serving as Auditor-General – Yao Domelevo
- It’s better late than never – Domelevo rejoices over Supreme Court ruling against forced leave
- EC sets June 27 for Assin North by-election
- 2023 AfroSport Summit: LaLiga joins conference for second straight year
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Tighten rules of Public Financial Management Act to cut budget deficit – Terkper
- Adanwomasehene inaugurates 3-unit classroom block for Adanwomase R/C Primary
- Ghana to fully digitize GMet weather observation system
- Climate Change Talks: Loss and Damage Fund and GST take centre stage as AGN strategises for Bonn SB58