Lionel Messi scored his 644th goal for Barcelona during his side’s victory over Real Valladolid to break Pele’s record of the most goals for one club.
Argentina forward Messi, 33, scored Barca’s third when he collected Pedri’s backheel, took a touch then slotted the ball past goalkeeper Jordi Masip.
Messi created the first goal when his cross was headed in by Clement Lenglet and started the move for the second, finished off by Martin Braithwaite.
Messi also hit the post in injury time.
Brazil great Pele scored 643 goals in 19 seasons for Santos in his homeland between 1956 and 1974.
Messi, who scored his first goal for Barca in 2005 and has gone on to win 10 La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues, is out of contract at the end of the season and able to talk to other clubs from January.
In August, he said he wanted to exercise a clause in his deal which he said allowed him to leave on a free transfer, but Barcelona refused, saying his 700m euro (£624m) release clause had to be met.
Earlier this week, Messi said the incident caused him to have “a very bad time in the summer”, although he was in superb form against Valladolid on Tuesday, inspiring a win that took Barcelona back up to fifth, eight points behind leaders Atletico Madrid.
Barca could have scored more goals but Masip made a number of fine saves and substitute Philippe Coutinho also hit the woodwork late on.
Marc-Andre Ter Stegen made two one-handed saves to deny Fabian Orellana and Kike Perez, preserving Barcelona’s clean sheet.
Earlier on Tuesday, Atletico beat third-placed Real Sociedad 2-0 thanks to goals from Mario Hermoso and Marcos Llorente to go three points clear of Real Madrid, who play Granada at home on Wednesday.
- #FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
- Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed
- Missing ‘okada’ rider found dead in the bush
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- Keep an eye on househelps to curb sexual abuse – Victim of child defilement advises parents
Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
WHO approves Chinese Covid vaccine
Ghana to become hub of pharmaceutical production in SSA; sales forecast to hit GH¢2.86bn
Young African entrepreneurs to maximize benefits from AfCFTA
Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
Health Directorate initiate moves to improve health care delivery at Ada West
National best maize farmer calls on government to develop agricultural policies
We must reassess the composition of NDPC – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
#FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
Akufo-Addo has the power to allow #FixTheCountry protest – Martin Kpebu
Koforidua GPRTU urges drivers to remain calm over fuel adjustment
Orthopedic Association of Ghana wants immediate action on road accidents in Ghana
2021 VGMA: I want Diana Hamilton to win Artiste of the Year – Eno Barony
Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
Tanzanian city ‘running low on condoms’