Audio By Carbonatix
Metro Mass Transit Limited (MMT) has announced a temporary reduction in some intercity services to redeploy buses for intracity operations in Accra, as part of efforts to ease growing rush-hour congestion in the capital.
The move is aimed at reducing pressure on commuters, particularly during peak morning and evening periods.
Head of Communications at MMT, Mohammed Mubarak Watara, said the decision followed directives from the Minister for Transport, Joseph Bukari Nikpe, who urged the company to support private transport operators during peak hours.
“Indeed, I can confirm that the Minister met with Metro Mass and our sister company to make sure that we make some buses available for the rush hours,” he said on Citi FM on Thursday, January 15, 2026.
Mr Watara explained that although Metro Mass is currently operating with a limited fleet, management has made adjustments to maximise available resources.
“So, Metro Mass, we are able to do that even though at the moment our fleet of buses is very low. We have been able to adjust. What we did is that we have extended our working hours and, most importantly, even though we do more intracity transport, we have had to increase our routes, not to every place because of our limited fleet,” he said.
He noted that services had been intensified on key intracity routes with high passenger demand.
“For example, on the route to Adenta, we use the EV buses. All 10 of them have been working from 4:30 a.m., and even after 8:30 p.m., our buses are still running on the routes,” he said.
Mr Watara added that additional arrangements had been made for commuters along the Kasoa corridor.
“We also have Kaneshie to Kasoa. We have created another station in our yard for Kasoa commuters. Also, we have Circle to Amasaman and Nsawam,” he stated.
To sustain the expanded intracity operations, he said Metro Mass had scaled down some long-distance routes.
“We have reduced the number of buses that go to Kumasi and Cape Coast to make way for buses to serve the intracity commuters,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Thailand cuts visa-free stay period for more than 90 countries including UK
4 minutes -
BHOBU-North America raises over US$100k at fundraising dinner, launches US$1m endowment fund
6 minutes -
Bono Region: Teachers abandon Kobedi school over alleged curses after colleagues die
6 minutes -
Up to 350 jobs under threat at Meta in Ireland
12 minutes -
Ghana Shippers’ Authority defends new container charge reforms amid legal challenge
30 minutes -
NPP: Ejisu MP alleges victimization over support for Kennedy Agyapong
37 minutes -
Infrastructure is the backbone of the economy — GCB Bank MD
38 minutes -
Gov’t releases final funds to clear railway workers’ salary arrears — Transport Minister
41 minutes -
UK waters down new Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise
43 minutes -
Deputy British ambassador to US abruptly leaves post
43 minutes -
Concerned Drivers Association threaten 20% fare increment over VIP price hikes
57 minutes -
Why Andre Dede Ayew deserves a place in Ghana’s 2026 World Cup squad
60 minutes -
Lebanon says 21 killed, including children, in Israeli air strikes
1 hour -
GCB Bank reaffirms commitment to Ghana’s infrastructure development under “Big Push” agenda
1 hour -
NPP cries foul over last-minute court transfer in Abronye bail application
1 hour