There was brutality by some soldiers who are said to have stormed Ashaiman, a suburb of Accra since midnight.
This comes days after their colleague was allegedly stabbed to death by unknown assailants in the area.
In some videos on social media, a young man is heard screaming amid sounds of flogging, while a neighbour quietly films from a window nearby.
Military men allegedly brutalizing Residents in Ashaiman. This comes after one of their men was assassin@ted few days ago. Be safe out there 🙏 pic.twitter.com/4xi8d5gdyu— Akwasi Bugati 🇬🇭 Blogger (@akwasibugati) March 7, 2023
In other visuals, some residents were forced to roll on the ground in the muddy puddles created by the early morning rains.
Go inside 😩— Andy Abbey (@iamniiabbeyy) March 7, 2023
Ashaiman fuo eny3 easy pic.twitter.com/Z7EaBFBbSi
Member of Parliament for Ashaiman, Ernest Norgbey confirmed this to Accra-based Starr FM. He called it an ‘unofficial curfew’.
As it stands now if u dey stay for Ashaiman wey you kno get food for house, Herrhh you go make shiii oh😂— CORROSIVE 🎭 (@yawdevil_) March 7, 2023
Reports say persons who flout the military’s directives are flogged and manhandled.
No be small air support wey dey go in circles for ashaiman pic.twitter.com/Z6xfvLQmnc— #SeeIt (@producedbyawaga) March 7, 2023
Meanwhile, the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) is yet to comment on the matter.
Find more social media reactions below:
Soldiers besiege some parts of Ashaiman after one of their was allegedly killed! pic.twitter.com/fzNatEJCP8— Zapke 🇬🇭 (@Zakpe_abd) March 7, 2023
Military personnel on rampage in Ashaiman… they are there to avenge death of their colleges who was allegedly killed by ‘thugs’ in the area. Pls if its not urgent avoid Ashaiman. Motorists are being attacked arbitrarily.— manuel🇬🇭 (@bravemawuli) March 7, 2023
The junkies at the Ashaiman Taifa area including the slums around the place should be given a proper beating.. honestly. They give the whole town a bad name and are the cause of the insecurities. I support the Ghana Army on it’s actions this morning.— Erskine Sam (@ErskineSam) March 7, 2023
Ashaiman Taifa dey boil hot 😂😂😂💔 my be easy for here. It’s funny and sad la pic.twitter.com/eE49G46aut— ☆☆ASHIAMAN DRAKE ☆☆☆ (@RealCletus9) March 7, 2023
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win
- Ecobank Ghana declares ¢27.21m loss in 2022 due to DDEP; to return to profitability in 2023
- Government working on a framework to regulate use of AI – Communications Minister