There was brutality by some soldiers who are said to have stormed Ashaiman, a suburb of Accra since midnight.
This comes days after their colleague was allegedly stabbed to death by unknown assailants in the area.
In some videos on social media, a young man is heard screaming amid sounds of flogging, while a neighbour quietly films from a window nearby.
Military men allegedly brutalizing Residents in Ashaiman. This comes after one of their men was assassin@ted few days ago. Be safe out there 🙏 pic.twitter.com/4xi8d5gdyu— Akwasi Bugati 🇬🇭 Blogger (@akwasibugati) March 7, 2023
In other visuals, some residents were forced to roll on the ground in the muddy puddles created by the early morning rains.
Go inside 😩— Andy Abbey (@iamniiabbeyy) March 7, 2023
Ashaiman fuo eny3 easy pic.twitter.com/Z7EaBFBbSi
Member of Parliament for Ashaiman, Ernest Norgbey confirmed this to Accra-based Starr FM. He called it an ‘unofficial curfew’.
As it stands now if u dey stay for Ashaiman wey you kno get food for house, Herrhh you go make shiii oh😂— CORROSIVE 🎭 (@yawdevil_) March 7, 2023
Reports say persons who flout the military’s directives are flogged and manhandled.
No be small air support wey dey go in circles for ashaiman pic.twitter.com/Z6xfvLQmnc— #SeeIt (@producedbyawaga) March 7, 2023
Meanwhile, the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) is yet to comment on the matter.
Find more social media reactions below:
Soldiers besiege some parts of Ashaiman after one of their was allegedly killed! pic.twitter.com/fzNatEJCP8— Zapke 🇬🇭 (@Zakpe_abd) March 7, 2023
Military personnel on rampage in Ashaiman… they are there to avenge death of their colleges who was allegedly killed by ‘thugs’ in the area. Pls if its not urgent avoid Ashaiman. Motorists are being attacked arbitrarily.— manuel🇬🇭 (@bravemawuli) March 7, 2023
The junkies at the Ashaiman Taifa area including the slums around the place should be given a proper beating.. honestly. They give the whole town a bad name and are the cause of the insecurities. I support the Ghana Army on it’s actions this morning.— Erskine Sam (@ErskineSam) March 7, 2023
Ashaiman Taifa dey boil hot 😂😂😂💔 my be easy for here. It’s funny and sad la pic.twitter.com/eE49G46aut— ☆☆ASHIAMAN DRAKE ☆☆☆ (@RealCletus9) March 7, 2023
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- I didn’t insult you – Mahama responds to Nana Akomea
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- IMF deal: Government to reduce public sector compensations by 0.5%
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move – Liverpool legend advices Mohammed Kudus
- Let’s keep the bond between Muslims and the Manhyia Palace – Otumfuo
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Deputy Foreign Minister pays tribute to UN Peacekeepers
- MTN named number 1 African brand doing good for people and planet
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Ghana confronts major challenges in energy sector, proposes reforms in IMF Programme
- Ghana Immigration Service promotes 4 officers involved in Bawku rescue mission
- Philadelphia Eagles support Imhotep to launch stem water project in Ghana
- Ghana expected to reach moderate risk of debt distress by 2028 – IMF
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, May 30, 2023
- South Africa clears way for Putin’s visit in immunity notice
- Frank Acheampong’s goal and assists inspire Shenzhen FC to comeback win
- Ghana defender Patric Pfeiffer reaches verbal agreement to sign for Augsburg – Report
- About 2.4 million Ghanaians are living with diabetes