Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Police Service says most final-year high school students desisted from causing harm and destroying school properties after its engagements with them.
Over the years, some SHS final-year students have marked the completion of their final examinations with the destruction of school properties and acts of vandalism.
As part of its efforts to eradicate the phenomenon, the Police, through its Proactive Prevention Policing Strategy, held conversations with school authorities and final-year students in most senior high schools.
According to a statement issued by the Police on Monday, "interactions focused on the need for students to uphold the law and rules and regulations of their schools."
"We also highlighted the criminal implications of such behaviour and the dire consequences that offenders could face, and the implications on their future."
“We are delighted this intervention yielded the expected outcome as most final year students desisted from causing harm or destroying school properties,” the statement announced.
Referring to the fire outbreak that razed the boys' dormitory of the Nyinahin Catholic SHS, the Police said preliminary investigations show that most final-year students had already checked out.
It indicated that "further investigations are being undertaken to determine the actual cause of the inferno."
The entire dormitory block A structure and its contents, including student beds, mattress, clothing and other personal student effects, books, electrical fittings and fixtures, wooden ceilings, doors, windows, and roofing sheets got burnt by the fire.
Meanwhile, Chief of Nyinahin, Nana Amampene Twum Boateng II, who visited the scene, says any student found to have played a role in the suspected arson should be made to face the law.
He wants a committee to be set up immediately to investigate the incident.
“It’s so pathetic; why set the school ablaze when you have gone through the walls of the school? It’s unthinkable for somebody who has just passed out of the school to come back to burn the school.”
“We met the District Chief Executive (DCE) and the other stakeholders, and we decided that as early as possible, a committee should be put in place to investigate it; it’s essential,” the Chief said.
Latest Stories
-
Young Today, Powerless Tomorrow
58 seconds -
2026 World Cup: Neuer returns to Germany squad for tournament
13 minutes -
Prof Bokpin urges Mahama to champion support for Ghanaian businesses as part of his legacy
13 minutes -
While the World Looks to the Moon, Africa Looks Away – And that Must Change
15 minutes -
Driver in critical condition after container crushes mini cargo vehicle at Gomoa Biakoye
18 minutes -
Media crucial to success of new decentralisation policy—IMCCoD Executive Secretary
18 minutes -
Gov’t using criminal laws to suppress dissent – Oppong Nkrumah
19 minutes -
MUSIGA hosts Nigerian delegation on creative economy study tour
21 minutes -
‘Government cannot be sector-selective if it wants to do well’ – Prof. Bokpin
24 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako links Bank of Ghana losses to Cash Reserve Ratio policy changes
30 minutes -
Celestine Donkor features top African gospel acts on ‘Borborbor Hymns’
31 minutes -
Dozens of vehicles burnt as Mali jihadists enforce blockade
32 minutes -
2026 World Cup: Mane leads Senegal squad for tournament
35 minutes -
Firefighters prevent major damage after midnight blaze at Mayera Adusa Quarters
38 minutes -
Air Ghana is not for gov’t —Transport Minister
44 minutes