Hearts of Oak produced their best performance this year to condemn WAFA to a 4-0 defeat on Sunday in the Normalisation Committee’s Special Cup.
Hearts were strong from the start of the match and looked hungrier than the Academy Boys.
Auroras graduate Michelle Sarpong opened the scoring on the half-hour mark. The lead was doubled before halftime by captain Fatawu Mohammed.
In the second period, the Academy Boys upped their performance and made attacking moves but no substantial chances were created.
Against the run of play, goalkeeper Sabi Acquah came out to clear a ball- which was miscued.
The ball dropped to Manaf Umar who rocketed it forward and the ball dipped inside the post.
Striker Kofi Kodzi came off the bench to slot home the fourth and crushing goal for the Phobians in stoppage time.
The win takes Hearts to the top of Zone B table with 18 points.
They are closely followed by Karela United (17 points) following their crucial 1-0 win over Elmina Sharks in Ayinase.
In Cape Coast, Goals from Albert Hammond and Isaac Donkor helped Ebusua Dwarfs come from a goal down to beat Inter Allies 2-1 while Dreams FC were held to a goalless draw by Liberty Professionals in Dawu.
Zone A, Medeama remained top of the table despite losing 2-1 to Eleven Wonders in Techiman.
Ashanti Gold and Aduana Stars returned to winning ways with home wins over Berekum Chelsea and Bechem United respectively.
Asante Kotoko were not in action due to the absence of Wa All Stars from the competition.
STANDINGS AFTER MATCHDAY 9
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- NDC suspects doctoring of Techiman South election summary sheets
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- ECG to announce ‘dumsor’ timetable for works on Pokuase BSP
- Kasoa ritual killing: State charges 2 teenage suspects with murder
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Daniel Mminele steps down as Absa Group Chief Executive
- Akufo-Addo’s cousin at Noguchi cited for conflict of interest in Frontiers Healthcare contract
Egyptian railways boss sacked after deadly crash
Queen marks her 95th birthday today without Prince Philip
Stop conniving with Chinese to destroy rivers and water bodies – Sanitation Minister
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, April 21, 2021
How farmers in Upper East are adopting Agroecology farming methods
SSNIT sets records straight on Weija lands ownership
Queen Elizabeth suffers another loss
Kasoa Murder: Court orders police to ascertain suspect’s age
An unregulated media space, a danger to media freedom – Media Foundation for West Africa
Akufo-Addo’s cousin at Noguchi cited for conflict of interest in Frontiers Healthcare contract
Unemployed jailed 10 years for defilement
University of Energy and Natural Resources to pilot e-motorcycles with solar energy
Fire destroys over 20 containers at Mankessim market
Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
Court orders arrest of four for failing to appear before it