Audio By Carbonatix
Head of Corporate Affairs at the National Identification Authority (NIA), Abudu Abdul-Ganiyu has stated that the authority will resume Ghana Card registration on November 17, 2021.
The Authority also said the issuance of backlog of cards for persons who have already registered, will begin from November 8 to 16, 2021.
“We are going to be doing the issuance from today (November 8, 2021) up to the 16th of November then from the 17th of November, we would start what we call the new registration. So, persons who have not yet registered for the Ghana card at all, they will now be able to register on the 17th of November. So that goes all the way as long as we continue to be present in the regions and districts,” he said.
Mr. Abudu Abdul Ganiyu was speaking on the AM Show on Joy News on Monday. He indicated that persons who have lost their cards can also request for replacement when the process begins.
“Now we have this category of people who have lost their cards, their cards are damaged, they want to do replacement. So replacement of cards will start on the 29th of November and whiles doing replacement, we will also do update for people with wrong spelling, they want to add names to their present names and so on and so forth,” he told host Israel Laryea.
The Authority had earlier announced that it will open its 291 regional and district offices on November 3, 2021 but this did not take place as scheduled.
Mr. Abdul-Ganiyu explained that the delay in opening the offices, is due to the need for more stakeholder engagement.
“We opened the offices on the 3rd of November, so up to the 5th of November, we decided that for newly recruited staff who had to go stay at the regions and districts, most of whom are going to the villages and towns for the first time, it would be necessary for us to do some more stakeholder engagement and sensitization, so that took place from the 3rd to the 5th November,” he explained.
He added that “the last bit is the registration of Ghanaians who are below 15 years, so we’ll work out all the modalities and measures that needs to be put in place and we would issue another release to that effect when we are ready.”
Currently, about 17 million Ghanaians have successfully registered with five million others yet to receive their cards.
According to Vice President Bawumia, by the end of the first quarter of 2022, the Ghana card will be recognized as an electronic passport globally and will allow for easy identification of travelers across the world, especially in the West African sub-region.
Latest Stories
-
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
2 minutes -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
32 minutes -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
44 minutes -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
49 minutes -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
58 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
1 hour -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
1 hour -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
1 hour -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
2 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
3 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
3 hours -
GN Savings and Loan’s victory is a court decision, not government’s promise – Ndoum’s lawyer
3 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
4 hours