A high court in the northern Nigerian city of Kano has sentenced a primary school owner and his friend to death by hanging for the kidnapping and subsequent killing of a five-year-old pupil.
Abdulmalik Tanko and his friend Hashimu Isiyaku were found guilty on Thursday.
A woman, said to be Mr Tanko’s ex-girlfriend, has been sentenced to two years in prison for complicity in the kidnapping.
The convicts had pleaded guilty and asked for leniency during the passing of the sentence.
Death penalties are rarely carried out in Nigeria and those convicted tend to stay in prison indefinitely.
The two men abducted the girl in December 2021 and her body was discovered in January this year.
The kidnapping of Hanifa Abubakar sparked outrage across Nigeria.
Tanko had demanded a ransom of $14,600 (£12,000) from the victim’s parents.
He was arrested by the police and he then led detectives to a location where they had buried the girl’s body.
In recent years, Nigeria has been grappling with a widespread kidnapping crisis.
But the kidnapping of students have usually been carried out by armed groups.
Nearly 1,500 students had been abducted by gangs since December 2020. Most of the victims have been released reportedly after ransom payments.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Suicide is never an option – Funny Face
- Stella Gyimaah Larbi adjudged overall best teacher for 2022
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- Government running Ghana as “a satellite state of international capital” – Martin Amidu
- Livestream: NDC holds presser on illegal mining
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- 281 artisans pass out as certified electricians in Ashanti region
- Government records fiscal deficit of 6.4% as of September 30, 2022 – BoG
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Cedi loses 37.5% in value to dollar as of September 30, 2022 – BoG
- 51 GrEEn SMEs receive over ¢1.3m total matching grant to expand their business
- Banks profit-before-tax grows 25.2% to ¢6.1bn
- Kanye West wants Jamie Foxx to play him in a movie
- Black Sherif’s ‘Soja’ debuts on Billboard’s US Afrobeats Chart
- Road Minister sorry for ‘worst’ roads in region
- NPP sets Legal Directorate; appoints Gary Nimako as director
- Economic activity moderate as construction, port activities slowdown – BoG