The police in the Ashanti Region have gunned down two suspected armed robbers after engaging them in a shootout, Wednesday.
The suspected armed robbers numbering about four had embarked on a robbery expedition at Santasi Kajasi, Oteng Nkwanta and its environs.
Speaking to JoyNews’ Prince Appiah the police said the robbers succeeded in robbing occupants of about five houses of their money, mobile phones, laptop computers and other personal stuff.
Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Godwin Ahianyo, said, “the police information room and command centre received a number of distress calls on the robbery and dispatched police patrol team to the area.”
He said the robbers began shooting when they saw the police come to the citizens’ rescue.
“The team also returned fire leaving two of the suspected robbers between the ages of 20 and 30 years dead,” he stated.
ASP Ahianyo said the two others whom they suspect to have sustained gunshot wounds escaped.
He stated that a quick search on the spot revealed the robbers carried one foreign pistol, one revolver, two machetes, two backpacks with three laptops, 24 mobile phones and ¢3,580.
The bodies of the deceased, he added, has been deposited at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital awaiting autopsy and identification.
“Efforts are underway to get those who managed to escape arrested,” he said.
ASP Ahianyo also appealed to medical facilities in the region to help the police identify the wounded suspects who may visit their facilities.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Weather information assists farmers to adapt to climate change
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Green Sports Academy wishes Isaac Dogboe well ahead of WBO featherweight title fight
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song
- Mastercard Foundation Health Collaborative allocates $1 million for prospective entrepreneurs
- We’ll pay outstanding debt despite inheriting it – Electrochem