Ningo Prampram MP, Sam George, has threatened to haul the Executive Director of the Center for Democratic Development (CDD) Ghana before the Parliament’s Privileges Committee.
According to the lawmaker, Prof. Kwasi Prempeh passed insulting remarks against MPs during his presentation before Parliament’s Committee on Constitutional, Legal, and Parliamentary Affairs on Thursday.
The former law lecturer had expressed misgivings that the promotion of the Proper Human Sexual Rights Bill was a march towards totalitarianism and populism.
Prof H. Kwasi Prempeh said the thoughts expressed in the Bill are not original of the proponents since such discussions have been ongoing in various quarters for some time.
However, his comments did not sit well with some of the MPs, including the Ningo-Prampram MP, who is one of the sponsors of the BIll.
According to the lead sponsor of the Promotion of Proper Human Sexual Rights and Ghanaian Family Values Bill, 2021, the comments are insulting and an attempt to mislead the House.
“You don’t lie to a Committee of Parliament. If he did say on tape, during his submission, which we heard him say, that these thoughts were not the original thoughts but the thoughts of other people we were representing, we will drag him to Parliament,” Sam George said on Joy FM’s Top Story with Evans Mensah on Thursday.
On Thursday, the Constitutional, Legal, and Parliamentary Affairs Committee of Parliament began the first of a series of public hearings on the Promotion of Proper Human Sexual Rights and Ghanaian Family Values Bill 2021.
The Bill, if passed in its current state, will criminalise Lesbianism, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and their related activities.
Over 140 memos have been presented to the committee so far, regarding the Bill. The public hearing on the memos received is expected to last for 15 weeks.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Turkey earthquakes: Christian Atsu found – Turkish media confirm
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- Yul Edochie’s first wife threatens to sue actress over photoshopped image with Judy Austin
- Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital offers free treatment to former ‘NSMQ shark’
- Don’t behave like Finance Ministry is your personal property – Kpebu tells Ofori-Atta over nonpayment of matured coupons
- Glory to God – Social media users rejoice after Christian Atsu found alive
- Put hefty taxes on alcohol, cigarettes to generate funds money to fight cancer
- Total household spending falls by 11% in 2022 – UK-Ghana Chamber of Commerce survey
- NDC to consider reforms for selecting leaders in Parliament – National Council of Elders
- We want to make VAR interventions more understandable for spectators – Pierluigi Collina
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Mukwala nets brace as Kotoko run riot against Accra Lions
- Parliament resumes from recess today
- ‘You are free to sign DDEP is not the same as exemption’ – Dr Adu Anane Antwi
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Ghana Gas to build second Processing Plant; 1.5k jobs assured
- Remarkable progress with ongoing IMF programme is significant to recovery efforts; momentum must be sustained – Ofori-Atta
- The origin of Hiplife: How rapping in Twi ‘blew people’s minds’
- Family of Thomas Sankara boycotts burial plans
- Court reinstates sacked anti-corruption chief