Audio By Carbonatix
Spanish Health Minister, Salvador Illa, Monday rejected calls for a return to a strict round-the-clock curfew, like the one seen earlier this year, saying it would not be a necessary step to contain the country's surging coronavirus caseload.
Spain has already tightened rules on social contacts and imposed night-time curfews in many regions.
Stricter restrictions are not currently planned, Illa said in comments carried by the El Pais and La Vanguardia newspapers, adding that authorities will first assess the effect of the measures already in place.
Illa's comments follow an appeal by the Regional head of government in the North-western Asturias region for a stricter curfew, as the health system there comes close to being dangerously overwhelmed.
A regional government does not have the power to impose stricter restrictions, only parliament. Spain has been one of the European countries hardest hit by the pandemic.
On Thursday, parliament approved the extension of a nationwide state of alarm - the third-highest state of emergency - until at least May 9.
However, Illa has said that the state of alarm in the form passed by parliament does not allow curfews, during which people are only allowed to leave their homes for urgent reasons.
Parliament would need to approve any corresponding change.
Latest Stories
-
CLOGSAG’s Bampoe Addo was a formidable voice for workers – FWSC eulogises
4 minutes -
Galamsey destroys over 100 acres of farmland at Akyem Atobriso
8 minutes -
GRIDCo completes tower replacement on Tema-Achimota transmission line
27 minutes -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair Mini Clinic ends on a high note at Achimota Retail Centre
31 minutes -
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
2 hours -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
2 hours -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
2 hours -
We couldn’t afford prepaid credit after I lost 2012 election – Obuobia Darko
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
3 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
3 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
4 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
4 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
6 hours