Mohamed Salah scored one of the best goals of the Premier League season as Liverpool overcame Chelsea to retake top spot from Manchester City.
There had been few clear chances in the match until Sadio Mane headed home in the 51st minute following a slick move.
Two minutes later Anfield erupted again when Salah fired a 25-yard angled effort into the top right corner.
Eden Hazard twice went close for the Blues, first with a shot that hit the post and another saved by Alisson.
Earlier, City beat Crystal Palace 3-1 at Selhurst Park to briefly lead the Reds by one point.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance