Hiplife is a music genre birthed in Ghana in the early 90s from a fusion of American hip-hop and Ghanaian highlife music.
It established itself as music with a truly African identity for a new generation of Ghanaians.
BBC News Africa spoke to some of the originators of the genre about how the sound came to take over West Africa.
Watch the full documentary Hiplife Rewind:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- Directing CID to probe Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- The rising level of air pollution in West Africa
- Livestream: Parliament suspends debate on Akufo-Addo’s new Ministerial appointees
- Energy Ministry isn’t indebted to ECG; there was no disconnection of power supply – Egyapa Mercer
- 6-packs come with a risk of depression
- Fish farmers call for government support to address sector challenges
- Avoid appointments that give impression of jobs for boys and girls – Joyce Bawa Morgtari tells Akufo-Addo
- Man jailed 180 days for fondling minor’s breast
- Lynx signee, Kasar, releases first single ‘Oyibo’
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Politicians’ quest to recoup investment in campaigns puts Ghana’s democracy at risk – Dr Pumpuni Asante
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kelvynboy reveals how he benefitted from Tekno, Stefflon Don feature on ‘Down Flat’ remix
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- AFCON 2023Q Preview: Black Stars host Angola in Chris Hughton’s first game
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor