Audio By Carbonatix
The UK military is to receive an extra £4bn a year over the next four years, the government has said.
The money will fund space and cyber defence projects such as an artificial intelligence agency, and could create 40,000 new jobs.
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said "letting go" of older weapons would create "headroom to invest".
The Ministry of Defence's annual budget is around £40bn, so the £16.5bn over four years is about a 10% increase.
The Ministry of Defence's annual budget is around £40bn, so the £16.5bn over four years is about a 10% increase. https://t.co/rgwo3dRmKQ
— Harri Ohra-aho (@Ohra_aho) November 19, 2020
Mr Wallace told BBC Breakfast: "When I looked across at the armed forces today I saw them with equipment that was out-of-date, I saw our adversaries across the world having better equipment, the ability to attack us and harm us getting wider and wider from our capabilities.
"And when that happens, time runs out and you need to modernise your forces. You need to sometimes let go of some older capabilities and that takes money in order to first of all create the headroom to invest."
He also told BBC Radio 4's Today programme there would potentially be an increase in soldiers working in "electronic warfare, signals intelligence, long-range fires".
"We have to move with the threat," he said, adding "if we don't learn from the threat we will end up fighting yesterday's battles".
The extra spending is on top of the Conservative Party's 2019 manifesto commitment to increase the budget.
The government has pledged to increase defence spending by 0.5% above inflation, which is currently 0.7%, for every year of the current Parliament.
So based on forecasts of inflation, the government said it expects the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to get a total overall increase of about £24.1bn over four years, compared with last year's budget.
Latest Stories
-
Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes
43 minutes -
Oil set for second weekly rise as unsettled US-Iran war crimps supply
1 hour -
US teen drops lawsuit against Meta, Google and Snap ahead of trial
1 hour -
Meghan could return to acting once back in UK
1 hour -
Bali jails Swiss tourist for insulting sacred Day of Silence
1 hour -
At least 50 killed, mostly children, as overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria
2 hours -
Cameroon president returns home after 10-week absence
2 hours -
Mineworkers demand release of $34.5 million in trapped savings
2 hours -
Stability must last 10 years, not 4 – Dr Yamson challenges gov’t to make boom-bust economy last
2 hours -
Tunisia opposition protests against president amid economic discontent
2 hours -
Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologises to Sammy Gyamfi, NDC over GoldBod comments
4 hours -
US sanctions more Cuban companies and officials
4 hours -
There is something different this time – Dr Yamson hails Mahama govt’s economic management
5 hours -
Gold for Reserves has risky, but necessary – Dr Yamson backs Mahama govt’s gold strategy
5 hours -
‘You want the trade, but not the people?’ – Dr Yamson tears into South Africa’s xenophobia
5 hours