Audio By Carbonatix
The Odumase-Krobo Circuit Court has sentenced two men to 15 years each for defiling a 13-year-old girl at Akuse in the Eastern Region.
The convicts, Benjamin Awuku, 46, a labourer and uncle of the victim, and Bismark Zinu alias Bodor, 24, also a labourer, were charged under Section 101 of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29), for defilement of a child under sixteen.
Chief Inspector John Brahene, the prosecutor, said the complainants were Grace Onyame, the victim’s mother, and Delight Princess Arthur, a child protection officer at the New Anointing Child Development Centre, a nongovernmental organisation in Akuse.
The victim, Charity Amenyo, a class six pupil of Amedeka M/A Basic School, lived with the accused persons and her mother in Amedeka, a suburb of Akuse.
On August 8, 2025, Arthur invited the victim and her mother to her office after receiving reports that the girl was involved with an older man.
During questioning, the victim disclosed that Awuku had been sexually abusing her for about two years and named Zinu and another man, Etornam, currently on the run, as additional perpetrators.
She revealed that Awuku last had intercourse with her on the morning of August 8, 2025.
A formal complaint was lodged, and the victim was sent to the hospital for medical examination.
On August 10, 2025, police arrested the accused at their hideout.
Awuku admitted to having anal and vaginal sex with the victim, while Zinu confessed to anal sex and an unsuccessful attempt at vaginal penetration.
The medical report, returned on August 11, confirmed the abuse. Investigations are ongoing to apprehend Etornam.
The court sentenced each of the accused to 15 years' imprisonment.
Authorities say the sentence is meant to serve as a deterrent against the sexual abuse of minors.
Latest Stories
-
Official: Sevilla unveil Ghanaian winger Emmanuel Abrokwa on long-term deal
21 minutes -
Eric Tinkler motivated by challenge of improving Kotoko
51 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, August 19, 2026
1 hour -
‘You can’t improve players on pitches like this’ – Kotoko coach Tinkler
1 hour -
Petroleum Commission says regulatory reviews have saved Ghana US$2.2bn
1 hour -
Prosecution of former NPP appointees not political persecution – Mustapha Gbande
1 hour -
Revised Ghana Card fees approved by Parliament, not unilaterally introduced – NIA
1 hour -
NIA says Labone Prestige Centre is optional, district offices remain operational
1 hour -
Three-month-old baby girl found abandoned in Ada bush
1 hour -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP into a winning force ahead of 2028
1 hour -
One seriously injured as four vehicles crash on Ofankor–Pokuase stretch days after fatal accident
2 hours -
GES denies GH¢1,500 Free SHS payment directive, urges parents to ignore viral claim
3 hours -
The losses were necessary – Manteaw defends GoldBod’s costly push to win Ghana’s gold market
3 hours -
We are concerned about inflation outlook when it comes to MPC decisions – BoG Governor
3 hours -
GoldBod had to ‘pay more’ to beat Indians, Chinese in Ghana’s gold market – Manteaw
3 hours