Audio By Carbonatix
The Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, has failed to submit a statement of case in the Supreme Court regarding the legal dispute over vacant parliamentary seats.
There was a notable absence of representation from the Speaker’s side in court proceedings on Monday, November 11.
The case involves the eligibility of certain Members of Parliament to retain their seats after declaring their intention to run as independents.
The court had previously directed the Speaker to file the required documents by Wednesday, November 6, following a request for an extension by his legal representative, Thaddeus Sory.
Mr Sory had cited the need for additional time to consult with the Speaker and gather necessary instructions, emphasising the importance of a well-prepared submission.
However, despite this allowance, no statement was filed by the set deadline, raising questions over the Speaker's position in the matter.
Meanwhile, Attorney-General Godfred Dame argued before the court that the Speaker’s involvement was unnecessary, as the Attorney General’s office was authorised to handle matters involving constitutional interpretation on behalf of public officers.
He urged the Supreme Court to proceed with hearing the case, stating that further delays would only prolong the issue and hamper effective legal proceedings.
The ongoing case seeks clarity on the constitutionality of retaining parliamentary seats when MPs declare independence or switch allegiance before an election.
Latest Stories
-
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
16 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
28 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
37 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
38 minutes -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
56 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
1 hour -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
1 hour -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
1 hour -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
1 hour -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
3 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
4 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
4 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours