Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has donated GHȼ50,000 to the Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG), to support the 47th edition of the SWAG Awards.
The SWAG Awards is held annually to honour distinguished Ghanaian sportsmen and sportswomen, and over 40 athletes who excelled and brought honours to the country in 2022, will be honoured by SWAG next weekend.
An aide to the Vice President, Tamimu Issah presented Dr. Bawumia’s GHȼ50,000 support to the President of SWAG, Kwabena Yeboah, and Secretary General, Charles Osei Asibey on Wednesday.
SPORTS JOURNALIST, FEMALE FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR
Out of the total amount, Dr. Bawumia is donating 10,000 cedis each to winners of two award categories; the Female Footballer of the Year and the Sports Journalist of the Year, with the remaining 30,000 cedis going to SWAG to aid its organisation.
Last year, Vice President Bawumia also supported the 46th SWAG Awards with GHȼ50,000 and similarly presented GHȼ10,000 each to the Female Footballer of the Year and the Sports Journalist of the Year.
Speaking at the 46th SWAG Awards as the Special Guest, Vice President Bawumia explained that his financial support towards the two special award categories, was to encourage female footballers. On the Sports Journalist of the Year, the Vice President explained that his support was to encourage sports journalists to continue to make meaningful contributions to the development of sports in the country.
After receiving the support, the President of SWAG, Kwabena Yeboah expressed the Association’s gratitude to Dr. Bawumia for his support, once again.
The Vice President has often earned plaudits for his benevolent support to sports organisations, with beneficiaries including RTU, King Faisal, Hasaacas Ladies, Ampem Darkoa Ladies, SWAG, etc
The 47th MTN/Adamus SWAG Awards comes off at the Accra International Conference Centre on January 28, 2023.
The video below may interest you.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display