Audio By Carbonatix
About 1,200 commercial operators within Burma Camp are set to begin paying for electricity following the withdrawal of a long-standing exemption previously extended to the Ghana Armed Forces.
The Minister of Energy, Mr John Abdulai Jinapor, disclosed this when he appeared before Parliament’s Government Assurances Committee on Tuesday, March 24, 2026.
He explained that the affected entities, including cold stores, barbering shops, washing bays and laundry services, had been operating without paying electricity and water bills, despite functioning as profit-making ventures within the military enclave.
Mr Jinapor noted that a significant number of those running the businesses were not active military personnel.
“Some of them were not even soldiers,” Mr Jinapor told the committee. “They set up businesses when they were soldiers and left. And you know the barracks, if you have a child, that child is almost supposed to stay in the barracks with you. So non-military persons also stay in the barracks. But unfortunately, those who are non military personnel are even more than the military personnel.”
He said a personal visit to Burma Camp informed his decision to terminate the blanket exemption on utilities for commercial activities, describing the move as politically challenging.
“I personally had to take a difficult political decision,” he said. “Until I came in, every electricity use in every barracks was totally free.”
The disclosure formed part of deliberations on a Cabinet directive issued in July 2025, which mandates the installation of prepaid meters across public institutions, subject to limited exemptions. The policy covers the Ghana Armed Forces, the Ghana Police Service, the Presidency, as well as public educational and health institutions.
During the hearing, members of the committee raised questions about the scope of exemptions, particularly whether agencies such as the Ghana National Fire Service, the Ghana Immigration Service and the Ghana Prisons Service were included.
The committee subsequently directed the Ministry of Energy to submit a comprehensive list of all exempted institutions before the close of business on March 24, 2026, to aid its report.
Nine months after the directive was issued, the committee said it was yet to determine the extent of implementation, including how many state institutions had been metered. The chairperson requested a written update from the minister on the same day.
On the broader metering programme, Mr Jinapor indicated that his administration inherited a significant shortfall in meters upon assuming office.
He attributed part of the challenge to procurement decisions by the Electricity Company of Ghana in 2024, when approximately GH¢9.3 billion was spent largely on cables, leaving meters and transformers in limited supply.
Latest Stories
-
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
5 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
15 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
18 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
24 minutes -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
34 minutes -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
39 minutes -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
42 minutes -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
49 minutes -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
56 minutes -
RaĂşl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and CubaÂ
1 hour -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
1 hour -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
1 hour -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
1 hour -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
1 hour -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
2 hours