Audio By Carbonatix
Sixty tricycle riders, illegally operating in the Cape Coast Metropolis, have been arrested.
The arrest was carried out on Monday, July 5, 2021, by the Central Regional Police Command during a special operation to clamp down on illegal acts.
The operation was targeted at the tricycle riders many of whom are boys of school-going age, as well as others operating without a license or insurance certificates.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mrs Irene Serwaah Oppong, Regional Public Relations Officer (PRO), briefing the media, expressed concern about the rate at which people were being killed and maimed by tricycles in the Metropolis.

She explained that punishment for riders who operated against the law was either to pay a fine of 25 penalty units or serve a jail term of 30 days, depending on which one the court decides.
She said those arrested would be arraigned before the court on Tuesday.
Madam Oppong said the law does not permit tricycles to be used for commercial purposes in the country and any person who goes contrary to it must face the consequences.
She disclosed that 12 out of 25 riders arrested last month, were being prosecuted at the law courts.
DSP Oppong revealed that most accident cases recorded in the Metropolis within the first quarter of this year were caused by reckless and careless driving of these riders, and there was the need to expedite action to curtail further losses and damages.
She appealed to the public to desist from engaging tricycles for commercial purposes because it was harming a lot of lives and properties in the Metropolis.
“We are appealing to the public to stop patronizing tricycles since its usage was not safe for humans “.
DSP Oppong called on traditional and opinion leaders and all relevant stakeholders within the Metropolis to help stop the illegal usage of tricycles.
She commended Nana Conduah VI, Omanhen of Edina Traditional Area for his decisiveness in banning commercial tricycles in his area and called on other leaders to reciprocate this action to support the Police.
She further pledged the unflinching support of the Police in maintaining peace as well as law and order in the region.
The joint operation was embarked on by officers from the counter-terrorism unit, operations unit, and others from the SWAT.
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
14 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
35 minutes -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
38 minutes -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
1 hour -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
1 hour -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
2 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
2 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
4 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
4 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
4 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
4 hours