Audio By Carbonatix
Riot broke out in the capital town of the Upper West Region following the arrest of three persons who were connected to the flogging of two lovers at the forecourt of Wa Naa’s palace.
The protesters thronged the Wa police station demanding the release of the three persons who had been arrested earlier.
Amidst chanting, the angry youth blocked roads, burnt tyres and pelted stones at officers on duty in their quest to get their demands met.
According to the police, the situation needed to be curtailed before it escalated.
In view of that, warning shots were fired to contain the situation.
Following the chaos, the police disclosed that 18 persons have been arrested.
Upper West Region Police Crime Officer, ACP Reynold Manteaw said, it included 16 males and 2 females.
He also noted that a manhunt has been mounted to apprehend more individuals believed to have flogged the victims for physical abuse.
A video clip of lovers being canned went viral on Tuesday. It was said they were being flogged for filming their sexual act.
According to the young men, it was wrong for them to have filmed their sexual act.
They were therefore punished for tarnishing the reputation of the town and for engaging in an act that is frowned upon by Islam.
Subsequently, 32-year-old Bushran Khidiri, a phone repairer was arrested. He is alleged to be one of the young men who forced the young lady in the leaked sex video to the Wa Naa’s palace for the flogging.
Later, 70 year old Issahaku Mahama and and 62 year old, Naa Sidiki Mahama, a farmer from Wa-Dobile, were arrested.
Reports indicate that the duo were arrested by some young men in the town and taken to the Palace. However, upon their arrival at the Palace, the Wa Naa was absent.
The young men, instead of waiting on the Chief, decided to take the matter into their own hands and delivered a punishment they deemed fit.
The two victims were given 20 lashes each.
Meanwhile, the Police are still searching for other culprits in the abuse of the two victims.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
5 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
6 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
22 minutes -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
27 minutes -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
33 minutes -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
1 hour -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
2 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
2 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
4 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
4 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
5 hours