Fresh details have emerged about how a police officer was killed in the Bono Region on January 15, 2022.
The Ghana Police Service (GPS) earlier today, confirmed that one of its officers had been stabbed by a violent suspect in the region.
A subsequent statement released by the Service in that regard unravels the chilling turn of events that led to the death of the suspect and victim.
The deceased, who has now been identified as Sgt Bright Annobil, worked at the Berekum Police Station where the sad incident is reported to have happened.
The suspect and an ex-convict, Yaw Peprah had been invited to the police station to assist in an ongoing investigation into a case that Saturday.
According to preliminary investigations, Yaw voluntarily accompanied the late police officer to the Berekum Police Station.
However on arrival, the suspect is said to have suddenly stabbed the officer “severely on the neck and other parts of the body and escaped.”
The badly wounded Sgt. Annobil died shortly after reaching the Holy Family Hospital where he was rushed.
More drama followed when a search party was constituted to fish out the notorious suspect that same day.
This led the operation into an altercation when he was finally found.
Police say the suspect ” again attempted to attack the arresting officers…”
However, Yaw Peprah was eventually “shot and killed in the process,” per the police statement signed by the Director-General of Public Affairs, ACP Kwesi Ofori.
The police say a delegation from the Headquarters is en route to commiserate with the family of the slain officer and support them in this time of grief.
The Inspector-General of Police, Dr. George Akuffo Dampare is said to have already “spoken to the family and assured them of the support of the Police Administration during their time of grief.”
In December, 2021, two police officers with the Zuarungu District Police Command in the Upper East Region were murdered by armed robbers.
At the crime scene, the investigating team found the lifeless bodies of Constable Emmanuel Akowuah and Constable Adam Suley.
They also found a burnt Service motorbike (No. GP 2311) parked by the road in front of a provision shop together with five empty shells of AK 47 ammunition and an empty shell of BB Cartridge ammunition were retrieved.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Agyinasare says he has no intention to cast a slur on Nogokpo and Voltarians
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- Akufo-Addo to address nation on Covid-19 fight, IMF deal tonight
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Turkish election victory for Erdogan leaves nation divided
- Lawrence Agyekum & Forson Amankwah win Austrian league title with Red Bull Salzburg
- World Bank releases additional $150m for Odaw Basin flood control
- Amedzorfe chief Okusie Akyem Foli V laid to rest
- GPL: ‘We are out’ – Paa Kwesi Fabin says Aduana cannot win title
- Virtual InfoSec builds Bank of Ghana’s state-of-the-art cybersecurity centre
- Yhaw Hero back with new song ‘Cold War’
- Today’s front pages: Monday, May 29, 2023
- Reality zone with Vicky Wireko: ECG’s revenue mobilisation drive: simply the best
- DreamChild Foundation poised for exciting HoodTalk Music Festival
- Legon Cities defeat drags Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- T-bills auction: Government fails to meet target again; interest rates still surging
- Government is resolute to ensure all-inclusive access to education – Bawumia
- New parliament: PM Modi inaugurates building amid opposition boycott