Charles Akonnor has expressed his gratitude to Ghanaians for the ‘opportunity to serve’ as head coach of the Black Stars.
The appointment of the 47-year-old coach was terminated by the Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) in a meeting on Monday, September 13.
Akonnor, who was at the helms of the senior national team for 20 months, won just four out of his 10 games in charge.
Despite qualifying for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, Akonnor was at the center of intense criticisms for the performances against Ethiopia and South Africa.
The former Black Stars coach shared a tweet 16 hours after his sack stating that: “I’m grateful to H.E President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo,the Sports Ministry, my former boss Kwesi Appiah, the leadership of the GFA, colleagues I worked with, players and Ghanaians for the opportunity to serve.”
Akonnor ended his note with positivity “wishing the team all the best.”
I’m grateful to H.E President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo,the Sports Ministry,my former boss Kwesi Appiah, the leadership of the GFA, colleagues I worked with, players and Ghanaians for the opportunity to serve. Wishing the team all the best— CK Akonnor (@akonnor_ck) September 14, 2021
Thank you Ghana
A new Black Stars coach is expected to be announced on Thursday, September 14.
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Debt Exchange: NIC to suspend minimum capital requirements, CAR of insurance firms for 2 years
- Chicago prosecutor drops R Kelly’s sex-abuse charges
- Leicester City sign Ghanaian youngster Nathan Opoku
- Ghana places 72nd, stagnates in 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index
- Trader jailed for causing harm to ‘Good Samaritan’
- Alternative Livelihoods Project: 3,000 former illegal miners gain employment
- Record Botswana diamond sales in 2022 as Russia shunned
- Housemate to be charged over murder of LGBTQ activist
- Idris Elba in talks to open film studio in Tanzania
- Thomas Moore Adingo: Why should private health insurance players be unhappy with GAB activities?
- Nigeria election 2023: The oil land with no electricity
- Pope in DR Congo: ‘Hands off Africa’ says Pope Francis in Kinshasa speech
- Empire Builders staff appeal to government to protect them, prevent sale of their lands
- Jorginho moves from Chelsea to the Gunners in a deal worth £12m
- Civil Society Organisations urged to step up HIV/AIDS awareness campaigns
- Chelsea agree British record £106m fee for Benfica midfielder Enzo Fernandez
- DDE: State regulators accommodating fiscal slippages is what has brought us here – Prof. Bokpin
- “He Only tried to get the best of his trip” – Stonebwoy on Meek Mill Jubilee House video
- Paramount Chief of Sunyani, queen mother cited for contempt of court
- DDE: Don’t fret, you can self-exempt – Senyo Hosi to individual bondholders