Audio By Carbonatix
The Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Godfred Dame says the injunction obtained by the Police to restrain the #FixTheCountry protest on May 9 was in order.
According to him, “the injunction was necessary consequence to a development between the #FixThe Country people and the Police Service.”
This, he said, was because of the #FixTheCountry campaigner’s resistance to comply with a police directive forbidding them from protesting on the said date on health grounds.
“#TheFixCountry people had presented an initial request for a demonstration, the Police had advised them on that saying in the times of Covid -19 crisis and what have you, it was not necessary for a demonstration.
"They had advised them to defer the demonstration but the #FixTheCountry people had indicated a defiance of that directive and said they are not going to comply,” he told Samson Lardy Anyenini, host of Newsfile on JoyNews, Saturday.
“If you are not going to comply, the necessary step under the Public Order Act is for the Police who found that situation to be more compelling, therefore, filed the injunction," he added.
Mr Dame further explained that the injunction filed by the Police was in accordance to the Public Order Act.
“I would say that the injunction is an applied form and was obtained within the premises of the Public Order Act. Indeed and the Public Order Act places the burden on the Police to place such an application so this engagement.”
He noted that “Government had nothing whatsoever to do with the application for injunction that has been filed or commenced by the Ghana Police Service.”
The Police secured a restraining order from a High Court to bar some agitated youth from embarking on a planned protest this Sunday.
This was shortly after the National Security Coordinator, Albert Kan-Dapaah met conveners of the #FixTheCountry movement on Thursday to discuss concerns raised during the social media uproar.
The order, granted by Justice Ruby Aryeetey, prevented the group from proceeding with the demonstration on the said day “or any other date until the restriction on public gathering is lifted.”
However, members of the movement are unhappy with the development, describing it is as bad faith.
Fighter General of the Economic Fighters League, Hardi Yakubu said the #FixTheCountry group will appeal the court’s decision.
“We will seek to set aside this court order by appealing to this same judicial process that the police have used,” he said.
He described the order as “too sweeping” and “an affront which we do not intend to take lying down.”
Latest Stories
-
Minority Leader slams Mahama’s gov’t over…
9 minutes -
52-old-year cabbie killed in crash on Wenchi–Wa Highway
17 minutes -
Mamprugu Traditional Council calls for probe into alleged abuses linked to Bawku conflict
20 minutes -
Midie schoolchildren wade through mud daily to access education
23 minutes -
Osei Tutu SHS parents appeal for support to complete classroom block
29 minutes -
Heavy Thursday downpour inundates Cape Coast
29 minutes -
Galamsey: Conveners disappointed as police cancel street protest
32 minutes -
Rev Enoch Thompson elected Christian Council Chairman
35 minutes -
Rebranded PNC will be formidable force for 2028 elections – Mornah
40 minutes -
Ghana’s digital cedi targets cross-border trade, financial integration
43 minutes -
Traders at Kotokuraba jubilate over restoration of GN Bank’s licence
45 minutes -
Government announces support package for South Africa evacuees
46 minutes -
AGI seeks incentives for renewable energy projects
52 minutes -
First non-Interest bank expected in Ghana this year – BoG Governor
1 hour -
Scientist identified more B6 vitamin in Beer than previously anticipated
1 hour