Audio By Carbonatix
Bundesliga clubs returned to team training on Monday, with players split in small groups or pairs and kept at a safe distance amid strict measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.
German football has been suspended for almost a month and the German Football League has said the ban will remain in place for the top divisions at least until April 30.
Clubs, however, were given the all clear from their state authorities and the DFL to resume training this week, with champions Bayern Munich deciding to train players in small groups to minimise the risk of infection.
"Obviously all health guidelines are being adhered to," the club said in a statement.
"Obviously the training is closed to the public. FC Bayern are asking fans to continue following guidelines and please do not come to the team's training centre."
The Bavarians trained in groups of five but without any contact, just like Borussia Moenchengladbach, VfL Wolfsburg and others.
Bottom club Paderborn also trained in small groups with coach Steffen Baumgart saying it was important for the players to be back on the pitch.
"It is important that players get the ball on their feet again," Baumgart said. "That is why we have created the training sessions in such a way that ball activities are the focus."
Weight and fitness sessions will be done individually, he said.
Eintracht Frankfurt trained in pairs.
Germany has seen the number of infected people rise above 100,000 this weekend and nearly 1,600 have died after testing positive for the virus that has forced the country into lockdown.
Despite the training resumption the DFL made it clear last week it was not known if or when the season would resume, and the stop in play has also had major financial effects on clubs.
Two weeks ago Borussia Dortmund, Bayern, RB Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen came together to create a 20 million euros solidarity fund to help clubs in the top two tiers.
Dortmund have also provided part of their Signal Iduna Park stadium for the treatment of suspected virus cases.
Latest Stories
-
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 minute -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
6 minutes -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
13 minutes -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
1 hour -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
2 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
2 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
3 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
3 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
4 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
4 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
4 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
4 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
4 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
5 hours