The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Chamber of Commerce, Mark Badu-Aboagye, says now is not the time for government to be increasing Value Added Tax (VAT) rates.
He stated that raising tax rates should have been the last thing the Akufo-Addo-led administration ought to have done given the difficult economic conditions that businesses are experiencing.
Speaking on JoyNews’ PM Express Business Edition, he said, “At this time that businesses are going through difficult situations, the last thing that any manager of an economy would do, is to increase the VAT or the rate of a tax.”
According to the CEO, the structure of the proposed VAT scheme is not in the best interest of businesses.
He explained that the tax increment was counterproductive to the development of the private sector.
Mr. Badu-Aboagye further stated that the measures outlined in the 2023 Budget even though aimed at stabilizing the economy may inadvertently lead to a high unemployment rate.
The CEO explained that due to government’s decision to freeze employment in the civil and public sectors, citizens will heavily depend on the struggling private sector as a source of employment.
“The only hope for those who are looking for jobs is within the private sector. If you are burdening the private sector with taxes and they cannot expand, they are not making profits, what we are saying is that in 2023 the unemployment rate is going to go up”.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- Full text: Finance Minister’s speech on DDEP deadline eve
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- College head found dead with husband and daughter
- Gospel artiste OJ Blaq wants to be featured on secular concerts
- We need reduction in appointees, not reshuffle – Dr Amoako Baah tells Akufo-Addo
- Economist advises individual bondholders not to invest in DDEP
- My dad, Culture, never died on stage in Germany – Kenyatta Hill
- 3 persons remanded over alleged kidnapping
- 28 of 47 students of Ejuraman Anglican SHS discharged from Hospital
- I’m your biggest fan – DJ Khaled tells Tems
- Akufo-Addo nominates Abetifi MP for Agric Ministry
- Bole: Family of murdered herdsman demand justice, appeals to CJ
- Death in a military operation is not unexpected – Security Analyst on Bawku killings
- Tems speaks on Grammy win, working with Future, Drake, others
- Bank manager arrested for ‘hoarding’ new Nigerian notes
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Kenyan school shaves off female students’ long hair
- Assayer in court over $18m gold scam