JoyNews has sent a Right To Information (RTI) request to the Minerals Commission seeking information on processes leading to the issuance of the mining lease(s) to Electrochem Ghana Limited for the Ada Songor Salt Project.
The grant of the 15-year mining lease to Electrochem Ghana Limited has been greeted with a lot of controversies.
The latest uproar is the arrest and prosecution of Radio Ada journalist Noah Narh Dameh at a court in Tema for allegedly publishing false news.
The community radio station, which has been attacked recently, has also been banned from covering the Asafoatufiam festival.
The deputy station coordinator is said to have posted on Facebook what he considers to be an attempt by Electrochem’s shareholder, Daniel McKorley, and some traditional leaders, to deprive local salt miners of the opportunity to mine.
According to him, the concession has been given to the Chair of McDan Group of Companies thus denying them their livelihood.
The request by JoyNews, which is in line with the Right to Information Act (2019) Act 989, seeks access to the information ( held by the Minerals Commission) with the following details;
- Copies of all mining leases bordering the salt mining concessions in Ada in the Greater Accra Region were given to Electrochem Ghana limited.
- Chronology of the processes that led to the granting of the mining leases in (1) above
- Reasons for the selection and award of the mining concessions to Electrochem Ghana limited.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Cristina Fernández: Argentina vice-president found guilty of corruption
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader
- Police secures court remand for three persons involved in gold scam and robbery
- Banda Khalifa: The Manhyia Saga exemplifies a toxic work environment.
- Good Shepherd R/C JHS wins Junior Science and Maths Quiz 2022
- Masantewaa Emporium represents Ghana at Runway Dubai
- Ghana Muslim Mission commissions clinic for residents at Korle-Gonno
- Delay in speech development in children can be genetic – Speech therapist
- Tanzania to spend cash on schools instead of independence day
- Security guard gunned down on Tarkwa-Banso road
- Brosankro-Aprakukrom Murder: Bereaved families appeal to IGP
- Prices of hair extensions up as festive season nears