New head coach of Asante Kotoko, Dr. Prosper Narteh Odum, is confident of his chances of ending a four-year trophy drought of the Porcupines.
Kotoko annexed the FA Cup title in 2017, and since then, football in Ghana failed to reach a conclusive end till the 2020/21 season, where Hearts of Oak ended a 10-year wait for Premier League glory.
Perhaps, Kotoko have the Normalization Cup title they won in 2019 to make a case.
Despite that, Kotoko have been under pressure recently, following the league and FA Cup successes of bitter rivals, Hearts of Oak.
The Porcupine Warriors after starting the season in dominant fashion saw their form decline. The appointment of Barretto as head coach, following the dismissal of Maxwell Konadu did little to rescue their falling title hopes.
However the Porcupines are approaching the season with renewed energy, bolstering their squad with the acquisition of Richmond Lamptey, Samuel Boateng and budding talent, Clinton Opoku from Phar Rangers.
After taking charge of the team in their first training session ahead of the new Premier League season, Odum is confident of their title chances.
“I think we have the quality to let us play and win trophies this season. I believe that talent will always win you games, teamwork will let you win championships. I believe that the quality we have now, if I’m able to blend them into a good team that knows its structure, that knows how to move with and without the ball, tactical awareness, what they have to do with and without the ball and giving them information about the opponent – how the play on offence and defense, I think once these things are done at training, with the quality we have in the team, we should be good to go,” the new Kotoko head coach said to Kotoko media.
The 2021/22 Ghana Premier League season will commence on October 29. Fixtures for the season and opening weekend are yet to be released.
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- Funny Face threatens to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- NDC must pass Vote of No Confidence on Mahama – Atta Akyea on 1 million secret ballots claim
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
Isaac Dogboe set for Christopher Diaz challenge on November 20
Man stabs, cuts off penis of friend for taking his nude pictures
Local media not doing enough to project highlife music – Berima Amo
The Big Talent Show Week 3: Contestants dazzle fans with awesome performances in eviction-free week
Liberian President George Weah rewards taxi driver who returned $50k
Four taxi cab robbers jailed 60 years
Prince Yaw Antwi: Homeownership – To build or to buy, the dilemma of the millennial
Finance Minister must account for ¢1.26bn accrued from Price Stabilisation and Recovery Levy
LGBTQ+ Bill: I see no right in life to use ‘exits as entries’ – Mikki Osei Berko
Blackmail: Fans react as alleged intimate video of Tiwa Savage, lover surfaces
Seaweed smothering beaches along the coast of Western Region
Government will not scrap taxes and levies imposed on petroleum products – Deputy Energy Minister
Cut taxes further on petroleum price build-up – Government told
Why Samini thinks IGP won’t be laughing at Shatta Wale’s expensive joke
Jude Bellingham: The teenager at the forefront of England’s future