The Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Mr Samuel Abu Jinapor, has called on the National House of Chiefs (NHC) to solicit their support in the quest to sanitise the small-scale mining sector.
The Minister indicated that the time had come for traditional leaders to openly declare their
support for the ‘galamsey’ fight to help clean up the sector.
Illegal mining activities continue to destroy the country’s forest cover, degrade many farmlands
and forest reserves as well as pollution of the water bodies.
Mr Jinapor, addressing the National House of Chiefs in Kumasi, said: “We need your support,
cooperation and partnership to efficiently manage the natural resources of our country”.
“The beauty of any country is evident by its landscape and its forest, not by its buildings”.
The 74 members NHC present at the meeting, led by its President, Ogyeahoho Yaw Gyebi II,
declared their readiness to support government in the renewed galamsey fight to protect the
The chiefs said they would support government to curb illegal mining and lead their people to
plant more trees on the Green Ghana Day on June 11, 2021.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- The South African choir that performed for Queen Victoria
- Stop the arrogance, downsize your government – Fifi Kwetey tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s government suffering a complete collapse of credibility – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo’s government has been the luckiest in terms of resources, they have no excuse – Fifi Kwetey
- IMF lied about Covid-19, Ukraine war being cause of Ghana’s economic woes – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo still in campaign mode – Fifi Kwetey
- Reset your priorities – Sammy Gyamfi tells government
- Climate-smart agricultural practices should be linked to household food security – Climate expert
- Accra Visual Arts Week is back
- Let’s generate African data to empower our AI systems – Computer scientist
- Playback: One-on-one with Fifi Kwetey on PM Express
- I won’t let politics destroy our brotherhood – Fred Nuamah on fracas with John Dumelo
- IMF Executive Board approves US$3bn under new Extended Fund Facility arrangement for Sri Lanka
- 10 enthralling reasons to tune into Joy Prime channel
- Abolish Section 27 of CAP 127 which makes Islamic marriages invalid – Dwomoh