Audio By Carbonatix
The Majority wants the Minority to get its house in order as far as government business is concerned.
The Deputy Ranking Member on the Finance Committee, Richard Acheampong insists that the claims that the NDC side is working to derail activities in Parliament are unfounded.
This comes after the Majority accused the Minority caucus of attempting to sabotage Ghana's economic growth through their persistent opposition to some tax waivers currently under consideration by the House.
“The Minority leader, Dr Ato Forson is leading that charge on behalf of the minority NDC in Parliament, and their main aim is to obstruct government business and to deny the people of Ghana the needed economic growth, which will result from businesses investing in the country and expanding their businesses,“ the Majority leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin said.
There are up to $400 million worth of tax waiver requests that have been pending at the Finance Committee for over three years, entangled in a political stalemate.
But speaking on Joy FM's Newsnite, Richard Acheampong said the NDC MPs cannot be the cause of the stagnation.
"Why the sudden U-turn for the Minority Leader to blame the Minority who has no hand in pushing government business? If they have an internal issue, they should resolve it among themselves.
"We have nothing to do with the NPP. We are ready to help government achieve whatever it wants to achieve."
- Read also: Minority sabotaging Ghana’s economic growth by continuously blocking tax waivers – Majority
Speaking to journalists in Parliament earlier on Thursday, May 30, the Majority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin said the NDC was being hypocritical.
He asserted that the NDC government, led by former President John Mahama, had granted MPs more than $800 million in tax waivers during their tenure.
“But we know that in 2016, this country experienced the most outrageous tax giveaway we've ever seen in Ghana when the NDC led by President John Mahama handed a tax waiver of $832 million to Meridian Port Services. At the time, the NDC government applied for a tax waiver of $982 million for the port project,” he said.
“And through the vigilance of the minority then, we shut it down up to $832 million, saved the government and the people of Ghana some $100 million, and even requested that further works be done,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
4 minutes -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
14 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
2 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
3 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
3 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
3 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
4 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
4 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
4 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
5 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
5 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
5 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
5 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours