The beginning of every New Year is marked around the world by a wide variety of activities. In Ghana, some people choose to rest off the transition while others prefer to spend time with their family at home.
This year just like many others, a good number of people went to church to give thanks to God for life and prayed for blessings for the next 12 months. For another section, it is a celebratory moment that must be met with joy and merry-making.
By the standards of some revellers in Accra, the crossover into a new decade meant painting the streets of the capital red with food, drinks and fireworks.
JoyNews’ Komla Adom visited some popular spots along the streets of Osu, widely considered as the country’s hub for fun-loving people.
Hundreds from locals and foreigners were seen having the time of their lives with friends, family among others as they were counting down into the New Year.
Purple Pub, a popular nightlife joint, was one of the stops where one reveller, Patrick, wished for “a great year with a lot of blessings and money”, amid an ambience of music and dance.
His sentiment was widespread.
Watch below for the full report.
- Final year SHS student allegedly commits suicide at Barkoniaba
- DCOP Opare Addo vows to take action against Delta Force following his attempted forceful removal from office
- We pay ‘big money’ taxes and yet they burn our equipment – XtraGold Mining Company
- NSMQ 2021: Archbishop Porter Girls’ outshines St Augustine SHS to qualify for National championship
- Ayew gives Swansea narrow lead over Barnsley in Championship play-offs
- DCOP Opare Addo recounts chilling account of how he was harassed by members of the Delta Force
- Speaker Alban Bagbin urges SALL residents to petition Parliament
- Banks to soon adopt only National ID card as primary source of identification
- Those who created the national security monster have lost control – Kwasi Aning
- I was traumatised by police sirens – Koku Anyidoho on his National Security experience
Voting should start at 7 am and end at 3 pm – EC proposes
Six-year-old girl rescued from Alajo storm drain
Be cautious of inherent risks of digital transformation – GCB MD
Government charged to mobilize domestic resources to deal with rising debt situation
Livestream: Government addresses nation on Covid-19 vaccination Phase II
DCOP Opare Addo had no locus to be in office, his contract has expired – National Security Coordinator
Ghanaian-German Centre for Job launches ‘Ghana Job Fair’ to tackle youth unemployment
Teenage pregnancy surge as Upper East Region records 6,533 cases
We must protect each other against covid-19 – Imperial General Assurance MD
MUSIGA to set up new Election Committee – Ras Caleb
DSP Azugu being at post is a dereliction of duty on IGP’s part – Agalga
How to know when it’s time to end a toxic friendship
Assault on Citi FM journalist: NMC writes to National Security Ministry for update on investigations
India unlikely to resume sizable Covid-19 vaccine exports until October
Lands Minister, Abu Jinapor embarks on aerial tour of River Pra