The trial of Bawku Central MP, Mahama Ayariga could not commence at an Accra High Court due to the absence of the State’s first witness.
A prosecutor at the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) Michael Baafi on Monday, June 22, 2020, informed the court that they intend to file a subpoena to force the witness to show up.
Mr Ayariga has been charged with using his public office for private gain by the Special Prosecutor, Martin Amidu.
He has also been accused of tax evasion in the clearance of vehicles and illegal transfer of foreign exchange from Ghana to Dubai without having the required license to undertake such transaction.
But Ayariga maintains he is innocent and has accused the Special Prosecutor of unfairly targeting him.
The case has been on hold for months due to the challenge of Mr. Amidu’s eligibility at the Supreme Court.
With that case out of the way, the trial was to commence on Monday.
Mr. Baafi informed the court presided over by Justice Afia Asare Botwe that he last communicated with the witness on Saturday.
He said he had arranged accommodation for the witness who was traveling from the Upper East region.
He said the witness had informed him he was at the bus terminal preparing to come down to Accra.
According to him, he has since not been able to reach the witness; prompting the OSP to consider a subpoena.
The case has been adjourned to October 13, by the court.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team without supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
May 9 stadium disaster: Persons With Disabilities join in 20th anniversary celebration
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance
Some of the taxes imposed on citizens are a nuisance – Kofi Bentil
Pastor Allen Caiquo releases ‘Finally’ ahead of ‘Priest & King’ EP
#FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
Blaq Jerzee recruits Marioo, Eddy Kenzo on ’Sokoma’ track
13 types of guys who stay single and don’t ever find lasting love
Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
Neymar signs new Paris St-Germain contract
National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
Doubts over venue for Champions League final between Chelsea and Man City as Turkey added to red list
Covid-19: GHS Director of Health Promotion advises against #FixTheCountry demonstration