The trial of Bawku Central MP, Mahama Ayariga could not commence at an Accra High Court due to the absence of the State’s first witness.
A prosecutor at the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) Michael Baafi on Monday, June 22, 2020, informed the court that they intend to file a subpoena to force the witness to show up.
Mr Ayariga has been charged with using his public office for private gain by the Special Prosecutor, Martin Amidu.
He has also been accused of tax evasion in the clearance of vehicles and illegal transfer of foreign exchange from Ghana to Dubai without having the required license to undertake such transaction.
But Ayariga maintains he is innocent and has accused the Special Prosecutor of unfairly targeting him.
The case has been on hold for months due to the challenge of Mr. Amidu’s eligibility at the Supreme Court.
With that case out of the way, the trial was to commence on Monday.
Mr. Baafi informed the court presided over by Justice Afia Asare Botwe that he last communicated with the witness on Saturday.
He said he had arranged accommodation for the witness who was traveling from the Upper East region.
He said the witness had informed him he was at the bus terminal preparing to come down to Accra.
According to him, he has since not been able to reach the witness; prompting the OSP to consider a subpoena.
The case has been adjourned to October 13, by the court.
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- 2023 AFCONQ: Inaki Williams withdraws from Black Stars squad to face Madagascar
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Read Supreme Court’s full judgement in Gyakye Quayson case
- NDC punches holes into Supreme Court’s full judgement on Gyakye Quayson
- Banks in Ghana too profitable; impose ‘Bank Tax’ on their investments – British Financial Economist
- Kwabena Donkor hits back at World Bank Country Director over his claims on PPAs signed under NDC
- Supreme Court’s reasoning for kicking Gyakye Quayson out of Parliament strange – Sammy Gyamfi
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- Agotime Ziope DCE attacks NPP’s Dzifa Kaledzi; leaves her with an eye injury
- Akyem-Abuakwa Traditional Council begins processes to destool Chief of Aworasa
- T-bills auction: Government to borrow ¢2.63bn this week
- Gonja-Mamprusi clash: Constant fight resulting in poverty, under development – NDF
- Phillips Consulting Limited tasks organisations with reimagining talent experience and retention
- GRA to charge importers additional 12.5% if they fail to register for VAT
- US sprinter Jim Hines, the first man to run 100m in under 10 seconds, dies at 76
- Rotary Club of Ho ends age-old water crisis in Kpokuve enclave
- iOS 17 drops support for the iPhone 8 and X
- Bond market: Total market turnover declines by 72.03% to ¢78.75m
- FBI agent who spied for Russia found dead in prison
- Cedi depreciation against dollar slows down; may record mixed performance this week
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, June 6, 2023
- MOVEit hack: BBC, BA and Boots among cyber attack victims
- District Court grants bail to 21 suspects over attack on Daboya Police Station
- Vision Pro: Apple’s new augmented reality headset unveiled