Audio By Carbonatix
A 21-year-old has become the latest Ugandan TikToker to be sent to prison after creating a video that was said to insult President Yoweri Museveni.
Emmanuel Nabugodi appeared for the sentencing on Monday after pleading guilty last week to four charges, including hate speech and spreading malicious information about the president.
He was sentenced to 32 months in jail.
Nabugodi, known for sharing comedy content with his 20,000 followers, made a film of a mock trial of the head of state. In it, he called for Museveni's public flogging.
Rights groups have frequently complained about restrictions on the freedom of speech in the country, alleging that the president - in power since 1986 - does not tolerate criticism.
In July, Edward Awebwa was handed a six-year sentence on similar charges to Nabugodi regarding a TikTok post. Three others are awaiting trial over content on the social media app.
When handing down Nabugodi's sentence, Stellah Maris Amabilis, the chief magistrate of the court in Entebbe, said he was not remorseful and the sentence would help prevent social media attacks against people including the person of the president.
"This court hopes that by the time the convict leaves prison, he would have learnt that abusing people in the name of getting content is bad," she said.
She added that he had the right to appeal against the sentence within 14 days.
He was convicted under a controversial amendment in 2022 to the Computer Misuse Act.
It made it illegal to "write, send, or share any information through a computer, which is likely to ridicule, degrade, or demean another person, group of persons, a tribe, an ethnicity, a religion or gender".
In its human rights report on Uganda last year, the US State Department said the "authorities used this law to intimidate internet users from criticizing government policies".
Rights groups also regularly denounce the Ugandan authorities over violations of human rights and the freedom of expression.
In 2022, award-winning Ugandan author Kakwenza Rukirabashaija was charged with two counts of "offensive communication" after making unflattering remarks about the president and his son on Twitter.
He fled the country to Germany after spending a month in jail, where he said he had been tortured.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
23 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
27 minutes -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
40 minutes -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
55 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
55 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
56 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
56 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
1 hour -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
1 hour -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
1 hour -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours