Two people are in critical condition following an alleged clash between illegal miners and a security team manning the concession of Anglogold Ashanti in the Obuasi East district.
A leader of the Obuasi Small Scale Miners, Nana Anima Awere II, who is also the Dunkwa Nfuom Adontenhene, says the clash follows the quest for the release of some illegal miners who got trapped sneaking into AGA’s mining site and got trapped.
Adom News correspondent, Isaac Normanyo, reports that the miners were said to have been trapped after sneaking into an underground through an entry called ‘Cut door’ or ‘Ramp’.
According to sources, the leadership of the Obuasi small-scale miners attempted to intervene through a dialogue with AGA for the release of those that were trapped.
Nana Anima Awere, however, says a violent confrontation ensued when some galamseyers who were not part of the entourage arrived and shot at one of the AGA’s water tankers.
He says three galamseyers were shot in the process. Nana Anima Awere added that two of them are in critical condition at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH).
Both of them were shot in the abdomen while the other sustained gun wounds in the leg.
Meanwhile, the Kyeamehene of Ahansonyewodea, Nana Kofi Badu, has called for calm.
He says the traditional authority is working to ensure the restoration of law and order.
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- 2023 AFCONQ: Inaki Williams withdraws from Black Stars squad to face Madagascar
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Read Supreme Court’s full judgement in Gyakye Quayson case
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- Kwabena Donkor hits back at World Bank Country Director over his claims on PPAs signed under NDC
- Supreme Court’s reasoning for kicking Gyakye Quayson out of Parliament strange – Sammy Gyamfi
- Banks in Ghana too profitable; impose ‘Bank Tax’ on their investments – British Financial Economist
- Assin-North by-election: Charles Opoku has no allegiance to Assin-North constituency – Mustapha Gbande
- Gbi Godenu, other communities in Hohoe to soon become defecation free with new public toilet facilities
- Ada Traditional Council seeks state security for Songor Salt Project
- Help care for the aged in the society – Noble Age Foundation
- From Eric’s Diary: Ei! So, NPP can break the 8?
- Gov’t remains committed to protecting Anglogold Ashanti Mines – Lands Minister
- Dutch & Co’s logo evolution reflects an exciting future for the company
- Military officers from 6 Infantry Battalion end 4-week course on violent extremism in Tamale
- Our decision on Justice Torkonoo will be known after we peruse full judgement on Gyakye Quayson – Agbodza
- No basic school has new curriculum textbooks – Clement Apaak
- NDC punches holes into Supreme Court’s full judgement on Gyakye Quayson
- Bonn Climate Change Conference: AGN pushes adaptation measures for women and youth
- Toptech Ghana to provide ISO certified defensive driving course for corporate and VIP drivers
- Persons who invade or attack AngloGold Ashanti will be arrested and prosecuted – Abu Jinapor
- Let’s review the Fertilizer Subsidy Programme-GIRSAL to MoFA