Four suspected kidnappers have been arrested by the Police at their rented residence at Ntranoa, near Ankaful, in Cape Coast.
One of the suspects who allegedly disguised himself and entered a mosque has reportedly been killed, while two others, including their supposed leader, believed to be in his 60s, are on the run.
The Police are said to have rescued some victims, all in their 20s, and taken them to the hospital in a Wednesday evening operation.
Information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA) from the community suggests that the suspected kidnappers lured their victims from Accra and other parts of the country with job opportunities and camped them at their fenced apartment for unlawful purposes.
They said the apartment belonged to a lecturer at a University.
Some residents told the GNA that they noticed the presence of the suspects, believed to be francophone nationals, in the community about two months ago.
However, their decent disposition did not give them away as being involved in any illegal activities, such as trafficking or ritual activities.
Some residents said that on Wednesday afternoon, at about 1300 hours, one of the victims managed to escape and called for help from the community members.
The matter was then reported to the Regional Police Headquarters whose timely intervention saved two of the suspects from being lynched by the community members.
One of them, who also attempted to escape, was reportedly caught and beaten at Atrokwa before he was handed over to the Police.
Later in the evening, a female who identified herself as the cook for the suspects was also arrested.
The Police reportedly retrieved talismans, knives and other implements from the apartment. The victims were put on a bus with their luggage and mattresses.
The Police declined to comment on the issue when contacted by the GNA.
- South Korea raids US military bases in drugs probe
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse demonstrators arrested
- Kwame Nkrumah should be the yardstick of good governance – CPP
- Police allegedly intercept illegal registrants
- Lionel Messi forced off with ‘old injury’ for Inter Miami as US Open Cup final looms
- 234 men died from prostate cancer between 2013 and 2022 – Report
- UCL: Man United lost to Bayern Munich because of me – Andre Onana
- UCL: Bellingham strikes injury-time Real Madrid winner against Union Berlin
- Samson’s Take: Democracy in danger – stop the police now! Pt. II
- Rotary Club leads medical outreach in Abume
- Niger junta’s PM meets EU envoy amid tension
- Rotary Club of Ho raises ₵250,000 to upgrade Kpando Health Center to Polyclinic Status
- CAF Confederation Cup: Dreams FC to play Sierra Leone’s Kallon in Liberia
- Morocco to spend $12bn on earthquake recovery
- Finding middle ground: The Debate on Disbanding Student-led Traditional and Ritual Practices in Ghanaian Universities