Some shop owners at Chorkor have been fined and their shops locked by officials of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) for not cleaning their frontage and drains.
The operation clean your frontage initiative was launched by President Akufo-Addo in October, 2021.
Under this initiative, the citizens are expected to clean any gutter in their respective surroundings.
This forms part of the vision of the Greater Accra Regional Minister under the theme, ‘Let’s Make Accra Work’.
As part of measures to ensure citizens comply with this, sensitization programmes were held to create awareness.
Also, officials of the AMA have been to some communities in Accra to educate residents on the need for sound environmental practices as part of the clean Ghana operations.
On Friday, the team visited Chorkor in Accra for inspection.
Head of Public Health at AMA, Florence Kuukyi explained why Chorkor was chosen again although the team was there earlier this year.
“We are coming to ensure that people who leave their frontage dirty, we force them to clean. Not only that, we are doing that one as well as food hygiene. Anything that has something to do with public health and we come across it, action will be taken, so that is why we are here this morning,” she said.
One of the shop owners whose store was closed, explained that some of the people tasked with cleaning the front of their stores were not doing their jobs. The explanation, however, did not sit well with Madam Kuukyi.
“In response, she said: “Right now, we are locking up the shop. This thing should be removed with immediate effect so please go in there, take anything that you think is valuable to you and come out, we are locking the shop, we will use one of your padlocks and also use one of our padlocks. If you are not there we cannot open, if we are also not there, you cannot open,” she said.
- What is love bombing and how is it different from falling in love?
- Are You Dealing With a Narcissist or Just a Selfish Jerk?
- Man gored to death by bull at Spanish festival
- Asenso-Boakye mourns former Bantama MP
- Central African Republic’s exiled former president sentenced to life in prison
- Let’s strengthen literacy, numeracy skills in formative years of children – Librarian
- GWCL announces interruption in water supply from Kpong Treatment Plant
- Gunmen abduct female students in north-west Nigeria
- 2 dead, others injured in road accident at Asankare Barrier
- Medical negligence: Can you sue a chiropractor for the wrong diagnosis and treatment?
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- It’s tough without my dad – Akwaboah
- Florida: 13ft alligator killed after it was spotted with human remains in its mouth
- Alan Kyerematen, Sammy Gyamfi and others mourn with Kwame A Plus at late father’s funeral
- FDA sensitizes traders and patients on medicine adverse reactions