Audio By Carbonatix
The EU's chief negotiator will stay in London until Wednesday to continue post-Brexit trade talks with his UK counterpart, EU sources say.
Michel Barnier arrived in the UK on Thursday to restart negotiations after they stalled, and he was due to return home on Sunday.
EU sources told the BBC more talks are also planned in Brussels from Thursday.
Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis said he was hopeful of a "positive outcome" from negotiations.
But he told Sky's Sophy Ridge that the UK would be "ready as a country for whatever happens", with Brexit providing "big opportunities for us".
Brexit: Michel Barnier to remain in UK for further trade talks https://t.co/qBLkY1lyie pic.twitter.com/1xQFpM5RnI
— Politico Digital UK (@PoliDigitalUK) October 25, 2020
The UK left the EU on 31 January but has been in a so-called transition period - continuing to follow EU rules and pay into the bloc - while the two sides hammer out a post-Brexit trade agreement.
The transition period is due to end on 31 December, but if a deal is not reached, the UK will trade with the EU on World Trade Organisation rules.
Some critics fear a no-deal scenario will cause problems for businesses, but the government insists the UK will prosper.
The EU had said a deal needed to be agreed by the end of October to allow time for it to be ratified by all the relevant parliaments, but UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson had warned of walking away from talks on 15 October.
After strong words from both sides and calls for "fundamental changes" to the approach to negotiations, a return to the table was agreed and Mr Barnier has been holding talks with UK chief negotiator Lord David Frost since Thursday.
On his arrival, Mr Barnier told reporters "every day counts" and the two sides shared a "huge common responsibility" in the talks.
The discussions had been expected to wrap up later on Sunday with the possibility of consequent conversations, but EU sources have told the BBC they will now continue in London for three more days, before moving to Brussels.
In line with a demand made by the UK, the talks resumed on all subjects based on proposed legal texts prepared by officials.
They also said that "nothing is agreed" until progress has been reached in all areas - which has been a key demand of the EU.
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
42 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
3 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
3 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
3 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
4 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
4 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
4 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
4 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
4 hours