Audio By Carbonatix
Dome-Kwabenya executives of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) are telling their Member of Parliament (MP) Sarah Adwoa Safo that they will not re-elect her as their Parliamentary Candidate.
According to them, they have had enough of her and thus want a new person to lead the party in the constituency in the 2024 general elections.
The NPP constituency Secretary for Dome-Kwabenya, Theophilus Ansah Larbi, in a media interview said, although they accept her apology, they cannot risk losing the seat to the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
“If she has rendered an unqualified apology, who are we as humans to say we are not taking it, we have accepted her apology, but what does she want us to do for her after the apology?
"Probably, if she’s interested in the seat again, then what I will say as a constituency secretary is that we are sorry."

While admitting that no one can stop the MP from contesting, he believes the delegates have the final say.
According to him, the party has enough men and women to represent the constituency, adding that they are tired of hearing the constituency’s name being mentioned in the news for the wrong reasons.
“Okay, we accept your apology, but we think enough is enough. When you go to the marketplaces and ‘trotro’ [bus] stations, people say that if we don’t know and we bring Adwoa Safo back, they will vote against her,” he said.
In a video posted on Facebook on September 14, the MP apologised to the NPP for the controversies she caused during her extended absence from parliamentary duties.
She acknowledged her actions were unjustified and expressed regret, citing personal challenges.
She apologised to President Akufo-Addo, Dr Mahamadu Bawumia, the Chief of Staff, parliamentary leadership, the party hierarchy and her constituents.
“It was not my intention to disrespect you. There was a lot going on in my life and family. I’m using this medium to plead for your forgiveness in the name of God,” she said.
Adwoa Safo’s absence from parliament was one of the most discussed topics in the country in 2022 which left the house and party divided. The discussion came on the back of her leaving the country in November 2021.
In one of the instances in October 2022, the Majority Leader clashed with the Speaker of Parliament over a decision to subject Adwoa Safo’s fate to vote.
Alban Bagbin had ruled that the Privileges Committee report is not final.
The Privileges Committee recommended that the 40-year-old’s seat be declared vacant for failing to provide an explanation for her absence.
Delivering the much-anticipated ruling, the Speaker noted that the report of the Committee must be placed before the whole House for a decision to be made.
This did not go down well with the Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu. The Majority Leader who doubles as the Suame MP said the ruling is unfortunate and inconsistent.
The general public was divided on her motive including her constituent who were unsure as to what her status in the area and its effect on development.
However, on November 11, 2022, Adwoa Safo officially resumed her parliamentary duties following her return from the US.
In July last year, she was sacked by President Akufo-Addo as Gender Minister.
Latest Stories
-
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
10 minutes -
Lands Ministry investigates alleged involvement of National Security operatives in galamsey
14 minutes -
BoG confident cedi stability will be sustained
23 minutes -
Freddie Blay pledges support for Wontumi’s bid for NPP national chairmanship
43 minutes -
Accra–Tema train derails after collision with cow
48 minutes -
Five houses, nine vehicles buried in Adaklu Mountain mudslide
1 hour -
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
1 hour -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
1 hour -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
2 hours -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
2 hours -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
2 hours -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
2 hours -
Over 101,000 students benefit from No Academic Fees Policy for 2025/2026 – SLTF
2 hours -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
2 hours -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
2 hours