Audio By Carbonatix
The Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) is struggling to raise funds to relocate temporary occupants along the Ahodwo–Santasi stretch, a situation that is slowing efforts to begin the long-awaited dualisation of the road.
More than a month after the assembly directed car dealers, mechanics, taxi operators and squatters to vacate the area, the stretch remains congested, as authorities work to secure and prepare alternative trading sites for those affected.
The relocation exercise is critical to clearing the way for the Santasi–Ahodwo road project, which was officially announced by the KMA on September 24, 2025. At the time, temporary occupants were asked to leave the demarcated areas by October 31, 2025, to allow construction to proceed.
However, weeks after the deadline, many traders are still operating along the road shoulders.

“They told us to vacate here after Christmas. They’ve even mounted sticks for mapping. But we have nowhere to go,” one occupant told MyJoyOnline. “If they say they will do it, we are watching. But we don’t really have faith that the road will start anytime soon.”
Some traders say the uncertainty surrounding their relocation has affected their businesses.
“We don’t even know where we are going,” said Isaac Nyarko, a car dealer operating along the stretch. “If we knew our new location, we would at least inform our customers.”
According to the KMA, four relocation sites have been identified, but developing these spaces for occupation has become a major challenge due to limited funds.
Public Relations Officer of the Assembly, Henrietta Afia Konadu Aboagye, confirmed that financial constraints are slowing the process.
“The assembly is supposed to prepare the places for them, but we are constrained with funds,” she explained. “The mayor has gone back to central government and the contractor to present the challenge and seek support.”
She added that the situation, while challenging, has not completely derailed the project timeline. “The actual start date for the road construction is April, so we are still within the timeframe to relocate the occupants and officially pave way for the work,” she noted.
The Ahodwo–Santasi road dualisation project is being funded by the Japanese government through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) at a cost of about €17 million. The dual carriageway is expected to be completed within 24 months after commencement and is projected to significantly ease traffic congestion along one of Kumasi’s busy corridors.
For now, traders remain in limbo, and commuters continue to navigate the congested stretch, as the Assembly races to resolve funding issues and clear the path for construction to begin.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
4 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
4 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
4 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
4 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
4 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
4 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
5 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
5 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
5 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
5 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
5 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
6 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
6 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
6 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
6 hours