The Deputy Education Minister, Dr Yaw Adutwum, has revealed that the government is set to build housing facilities for teachers.
According to him, the government is securing funds from Kuwait to facilitate the project.
Speaking on Newsfile on the JoyNews channel he said that “we need to do more in providing teacher accommodation so we are building some housing for teachers, in selected senior high schools.”
Dr Adutwum added that he understands the influx of students because the Free SHS, is taking a toll on teachers and thus government needs to do more for them.
His comment comes after, the Deputy General Secretary of the Ghana National Association of Teachers, Daniel Affadu, said his members were going through numerous challenges that have not been tended to.
“Even the senior high schools that we are talking about, E block and the rest, the whole school is built in isolation with no single bungalow for the teacher, how do we move on,” Mr Daniel Affadu quizzed the deputy Minister on Newsfile.
He stated that the association believes that all the reforms in education ends at the doorstep of the teacher hence they need to be properly involved and motivated.
Dr Adutwum admitted that teachers needed more attention than they have been given, adding that, “I’ll take your message in good faith and know that we need to do more.”
“If teachers are not comfortable and don’t have a place to stay how can they wake up the next day [and be] excited the next day and go to teach,” he added.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- World Cup 2022: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo reduced to role of superstar nobody wants’
- Morocco King congratulates national team for historic qualification to World Cup quarterfinals
- Indonesia’s new sex laws and what they could mean for tourism
- Akufo-Addo commissions road bridge at Afienya
- e-Crime Bureau awarded for a decade of impact in cyber security
- People envy my wealth – Nigerian presidential hopeful Tinubu
- Felicia Osei: Why Ebo Whyte’s latest play, “Husband Material” is a must watch
- Tinubu criticised after facing questions in London
- Spain’s former King Juan Carlos wins partial immunity in ex-lover case
- Cristina Fernández: Argentina vice-president found guilty of corruption
- Tema residents to experience 48-hour disruption in water supply
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader