The majority of the games played on the final day of the 2021/22 Ghana Premier League season were fixed, according to AshantiGold’s Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Albert Commey.
He claimed that games between Hearts of Oak and Real Tamale United, Gold Stars and AshGold, Eleven Wonders and Aduana Stars, and the match between King Faisal and Legon Cities were all manipulated fixtures, in order to ensure the survival of several relegation-threatened clubs.
King Faisal beat Legon Cities by a score of 2-1, while RTU defeated Hearts of Oak with a 4-1 scoreline in Accra. As a result, both King Faisal and RTU avoided relegation. Eleven Wonders’ 2-1 victory at home, however, could not ensure their survival.
Commey also claimed that the match between his side and Bibiani GoldStars, in which Yaw Annor scored two goals to win the golden boot, was fixed.
“The Ghana Premier League was competitive but wasn’t happy with the final day because there were lots of fixed games. RTU never won any match away. AshGold v Bibiani Gold Stars was fixed. Wonders v Aduana was fixed. King Faisal vs Legon Cities was fixed,” he told Sunyani-based Space FM.
“Normally when it gets to that time, clubs want to survive. FA doesn’t know about it. How do you think Hearts of Oak will lose by 4 goals. Did you watch them yesterday? We shouldn’t be hypocrites or we won’t progress. I’m a Hearts fan, I’m telling you.”
If issues like this are not resolved, the nation’s level of football will decline, he added.
“Let us not be hypocrites or else we wouldn’t move forward in Ghana football. I won’t blame the GFA on this, because teams do everything possible to stay in the league during the latter part of the league.”
After 34 play days, Elmina Sharks, WAFA, and Eleven Wonders suffered relegation to Division One League.
- Entrance exam saga: Your desire to be a lawyer doesn’t mean you have to become one – GBA President
- Organisers of ‘Aduru wo so’ walk caution Nana B against suspending Alan Kyerematen
- U20 Women’s World Cup: Ghana play Japan today in likely do-or-die mission
- Labianca case: GRA dissociates itself from Col. Damoah’s comments against Special Prosecutor
- List of Special Prosecutor’s ongoing investigations into alleged corruption
- Former Ashanti Regional Minister, Samuel Nuamah is dead
- GLC barring re-marking justified, argument against directive only emotional – GBA President
- Adorye’s statement is a mockery; we must condemn it – Farouk Aliu Mahama
- NPP flagbearership race: ‘The grassroots are yearning for Alan Kyerematen’ – Hopeson Adorye
- Sam George and wife renew vows after 10 years of marriage
Kotoko beat Panthers FC in pre-season freindly
Pharm.D house officers to halt housemanship on August 29 over clearance delays, salaries
This electricity tarrif is for hairdressers and vulcanisers – PURC boss on 27.15% increment
Sack Ofori-Atta, Agyemang Manu, Afriyie-Akoto – Kufuor Foundation CEO tells Akufo-Addo
Labianca case: ‘We’ll deal with anyone found culpable’ – GRA
Reduce number of ministers to 40 and save ¢6bn each year – IMANI Africa to government
Full text: Utility tariff increments announced by PURC
Free SHS: ‘Allow parents who are capable of paying to do so’ – Presbyterian Church to government
ECG begins repair works on transformers in Yilo and Manya Krobo municipalities
Electricity, water tariffs increased by 27.15%, 21.55% respectively; effective September 1
We’re committed to making Ghana safer – IGP reiterates as he receives new motorbikes
Let’s meet on stage – Mummy Dolarz challenges Big Ivy
Afrochella co-founder steps down following sexual harassment allegations
Cedi loses about ¢3.15 to dollar so far in 2022
Security agencies to permanently patrol river bodies to fight galamsey