Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, has commissioned the third batch of 636 Blue Water Guards as part of the government’s continuous efforts to combat illegal mining.
The new recruits will be deployed to the Central, Ashanti and Eastern Regions, as well as other flashpoints where illegal mining is most prevalent.

Speaking at the passing-out ceremony in Jomoro on Saturday, December 20, the Minister stated that the third cohort will continue to complement the security agencies in the national fight against galamsey.
According to him, the war on environmental destruction remains a top priority for the state, and government will therefore continue to roll out measures to stem the tide.

The Minister added that although there have been significant successes in the ongoing fight, there is still more work to be done.
He therefore charged the newly commissioned Blue Water Guards to be dedicated and patriotic in the discharge of their duties and ato void any form of compromise.

Speaking at the event at the Ezinlibo Naval Base, the Ashanti Regional Minister, who graced the occasion, also pledged his support and stressed that his outfit will continue to back the Lands Minister in the government’s quest to make galamsey a thing of the past.

He said the fight against galamsey is not an attack on livelihoods and urged all Ghanaians to embrace the government’s responsible mining programmes.
Addressing the media after the event, the Media Relations Officer at the Lands Ministry, Paa Kwesi Schandorf, said the Blue Water Guards have been actively supporting the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) in nationwide operations.

He noted that the daily provision of intelligence by the Blue Water Guards has been instrumental in the success of NAIMOS operations, he told Channel One News anchor, Charles Kumi.
So far, over 1,600 Blue Water Guards have been trained and deployed across various flashpoints, with more personnel expected to be recruited by the government.

Government believes the initiative will aid in the restoration of polluted water bodies that have lost their colour and purity to unchecked illegal mining activities.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
12 minutes -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
46 minutes -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
49 minutes -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
1 hour -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
2 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
2 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
2 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
2 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
2 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
2 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
3 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
3 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
3 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
3 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
3 hours