Audio By Carbonatix
The Netherlands on Thursday returned a 3,500-year-old sculpture to Egypt after the looted artefact resurfaced at a Dutch art fair in 2022.
An investigation by Dutch police and the cultural heritage inspectorate confirmed in 2025 that the sculpture had been plundered and unlawfully removed from Egypt, most likely during the Arab Spring unrest of 2011, before appearing on the international art market.
Experts believe the artefact, a stone head that was originally part of a block statue, originated in Luxor, southern Egypt. It depicts a senior official from the reign of Pharaoh Thutmose III (1479–1425 BC).
It was confiscated in 2022 at an art fair in the Dutch city of Maastricht. Art dealer Sycomore Ancient Art, which had acquired the piece but had doubts about its provenance, voluntarily surrendered it following the inquiry.
"Our policy is to return what doesn't belong to us and to return it always to the rightful cultural group or country", Dutch Culture Minister Gouke Moes said in handing over the artefact to the Egyptian ambassador.
Egyptian Ambassador Emad Hanna said his country tracks artefacts that appear in exhibitions or auctions.
"It means a lot to us when it comes to tourism and economy, because at the end of the day, when tourists come to Egypt to see these things, it definitely makes a difference", Hanna said.
Egypt's plans to display the sculpture were not yet clear.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
20 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
24 minutes -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
37 minutes -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
52 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
52 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
53 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
53 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
57 minutes -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
1 hour -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
1 hour -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
1 hour -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours