The National Identification Authority (NIA) has commenced issuing Refugee Identity Cards to refugees living in the country.
With this, the beneficiaries will be able to access some social services in the country.
The acting Executive Secretary for the Ghana Refugee Board, Padi Tetteh has thus commended the Authority.
Mr Tetteh said the step is in the right direction and in accordance with international conventions.
“Due to the fact that we are signatories to the UN Refugee Convention and also the fact that we are governed by the Ghana Refugee Law, we are to ensure that refugees have access to social services, and it is important that they do so in order to allow them to earn a living.”
He also disclosed some over 7,000 refugees will benefit from this exercise.
However, Mr Padi clarified that this card does not grant nationality status to the refugees.
“It is important to note that the card doesn’t grant them nationality, and they don’t have the right to vote.
The only thing is that the card gives them the right to social services in order to live in safety and dignity.”
The 1951 Refugee Convention and its 1967 Protocol outline the rights of refugees, as well as the legal obligations of States to protect them, including the right to social services.
- Fuel prices to increase by 7%-13% from February 1, 2023 – IES
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- Assault on Latif Iddrisu: No policeman touched him – Attorney General
- Deborah Acquah qualifies for 2023 World Athletics Championships
- Pay Toure over GHC 100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- Gold for Oil deal: First consignment not enough for market – Research Analyst
- Police nab 4 over alleged robbery at Wassa Agona
- Stop National Cathedral project, cut-down government expenditure and leave our money alone -Nurses to government
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- NTDs in Ghana; Let’s act now, let’s act together, let’s invest in the fight!
- School placement for sale exposé: Culprits will be dealt with – Education Minister
- Dancers are footsoldiers of Afrobeats, their impact is huge – DWP Dance Academy US manager
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- Ahuofe Patri loses mother
- Don’t stop attending church because of my broken marriage – Osofo Kyiri Abosom tells congregation
- Managers of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall arrested for tax violations
- Let’s not abandon ‘Azonto’ genre in music – DWP Dance Academy US manager
- There is no coming back from this – Husband of Yellow Sisi Waakye seller